Hello from Scott

Scott1

Hi

Wanted to say hello to everyone, I am from sunny Swansea in south wales any others here from this neck of the woods? I am completely new to this and really looking forward to learning more about astronomy. I have always had an interest but up until now I have never pursued it but after using binoculars to view the Moon and stars over the last few night it has really fired my interest again. I am in the process of looking for a suitable telescope to get started with so I will pick peoples brains as to the best that a can afford.

Look forward to chatting

Scott

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Scott, you'll find plenty of help and advice here. I do! Binoculars and naked eye are a good way to start, and coupled with something like "Stellarium" which is a free download and some star charts you can begin to find your way round the night sky which will be invaluable when you get your scope. I only wish I had spent more time.

Best of luck :smiley:

Jason

Hi Scott and welcome to SGL, choosing a scope is not an easy task, as there is no instrument that will do everything in Astronomy, so it might be helpful if you can give some thought to perhaps what in particular, that lies above, you would like to concentrate on, beit Moon,Planets, stars or deep space. Most starting out, however, will go for the Dobsonian in at least 150mm as this is something, middle of the road that is easy to use, will give rewarding views and the best bang for your buck as they say. Enjoy, with whatever you end up with :)

Hi Scott,

Stop by the " South Wales Group " sub forum here under the heading "Social Groups". Many of us get together for informal observing sessions, usually at a dark site near Blaenavon. Its a good idea to have a look at and through equipment others have before deciding what may be right for you.

Welcome to the forum, from the Rhondda. :smiley:

We just had an Observing session last Saturday on the 13th. The next hasn't been determined yet. They are scheduled on a weekend, when there is a good chance the sky will be clear, and work the following morning will not be an issue for most of us. So far, we've tried to meet at least once a month when the weather is cooperative. Presently there are about a dozen of us who regularly come to the meets. Keep checking the group forum, the next Observing session should be posted soon.

Archived