NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

For Sale : Used twice !! Why??

I've seen so many scopes for sale 'used twice'.

Now I appreciate that 'twice' might be a euphemism for 'not much' but why is this so often the case?

Do people get bored quickly? Did they buy the wrong scope?

I'm not talking about the £50 ebay scopes (of which there are plenty) but of decent scopes and decent makes.

Why do you reckon it is?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possibly poor research, there is a vast amount of knowledge needed to buy a good scope... And even more to buy the correct scope!

We'd all probably agree that a 200p dob is a very good scope?

But it may be the wrong scope if you are into imaging...

Also a lot of people, even though its made pretty clear on here that you won't see Hubble type images through a scope, they won't believe it until they see it there self.

The weather doesn't help either.

Guess it takes a fair bit of commitment to stick with our hobby

My first two scopes got used about twice.

1: A 4.5" scope that came on an EQ mount that I just found it impossible to set up.

2: A 10" dob, that was a lot bigger than I realised. Just could not handle getting it in and out of the house.

Both scopes subsequently went to good homes.

Fortunately, I persevered, and my third scope was an ETX-80 (at which many would scoff) and it was so easy to set up and use it got a ton of use before I upgraded to an SE. Thus proving the old adage: "The best scope is the one that gets used - gathering photons is infinitely better than gathering dust"

They get a scope that is not right.

Almost immaterial of what anyone says they will get told to buy something else, I think DP has said it right. The ETX-80 gets looked down on but it sure is easy to use, and for what is a first scope that really is very applicable.

In most cases it due to buying the wrong scope. Either an EQ mount that they cant set-up correctly (been there),or a Dob that is much bigger in real life then it is in images online. Lack of research really is to blame. Ive finally got a scope that suits me down to the ground. The 8SE has aperture and portability. My Heritage 130P has portability, but lacks the aperture.

My 90EQ is stored in the garage. I never got on with it. My 70mm travelscope................you can almost put in your back pocket and its great at doing what it is designed to do.

Besides it perhaps being the wrong scope, I expect there is also an element of many people that just like collecting and buying things, buying and owning things is a hobby in itself, I have a few aunts that subscribe to that school :D. I know many people/friends that just want the latest in everything, even if they don't really need it or want it, be it the latest mobile phone, handheld devices, whatever it is. We live in a very consumer driven society these days, and so I imagine there are many that buy a scope without much thought or consideration, use it twice and realise astronomy is not for them. Perhaps they were expecting Hubble space telescope images, didn't research it etc. etc., lost interest and there goes another scope on ebay :D

Also a lot of people, even though its made pretty clear on here that you won't see Hubble type images through a scope, they won't believe it until they see it there self.

I think that sums it up.

Used twice as that was the number of clear nights that year. :grin:

Probably near the truth. It can be most frustrating to newcomers with a new scope to sit and look at the rain and cloud that we suffer as our climate for long periods at a time, and then when a clear night does arrive, to them it may look perfect, but apart from struggling with mount and set-up for the first time, the seeing may not be good either and they get poor images. Enough to put any but the keenest off Astronomy I would not doubt :)

I doubt this is just an issue with astronomy, it seems that a lot of folk want instant gratification and are unwilling/unable to put in the effort required to start enjoying something new.

I think also a lot of stuff does not perform to expectations even when well chosen, eyepieces for example maybe awesome on paper but just not work for you.

I sold my Dob not after two uses but only after a year and it looked as new. As mentioned above, I found it such a pain to take in and out that it limited my usage.

Now I have a 6se and find it much easier to take out and use.

Another thing I agree with is what people think they will see. First night I got my old 10" Dob I found Saturn, through a 8mm eyepiece. My father-in-law looked at it and said "is that it?" I was shocked!

Dare I say it?

Brian Cox effect! :grin:

Ooooh this astronomy lark looks fun....

And then all of the above!

Late, cold nights, poor weather, equipment that you need to read a manual for! :p

Cheers

Defo. You get the same thing with bikes after the Tour de France. If you give it about 3 months after the tour you can get a real bargain!

i think this is likely to be the situation in a lot of cases.

besides knowing what people's first scope was, it would be quite interesting to know what their second was. i.e. what they considered their fix to be

A lot of people on here say, go & get a Dob.

Lot of bang, for your bucks,until it turns up.

Then you go & try & use it. :eek: The learning

curve is a bit steeper than a lot of people think.

To see DSOs, you need dark skies,which means

usually,loading the scope & all the bits & pieces

in the car. :confused: You soon get fed up with this & end

up selling the scope.We then end up getting a

cheap scope. :grin:

Steve

Dare I say it? Brian Cox effect! :grin:

Ooooh this astronomy lark looks fun.... And then all of the above!

Late, cold nights, poor weather, equipment that you need to read a manual for! :p

I'm part of the Brian Cox effect! 50-something Messiers and counting!

As for the issues - that's why God gave us lazy Sundays, Scotch, SGL and dobsonians respectively.

Archived