Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Back pain with the Skywatcher 200p

Hello all,

Hope you are all doing good. A quick question for you this evening... I have a Skywatcher 200p and of late it's really killing the vibe as I am getting intense lower back pain plus neck and shoulder aches. I have looked at observing chairs and they seem to be £100-125 and that's way out of my budget. I've looked at some awesome DIY projects but they are just beyond me.

So does anyone have any ideas or tips on comfortable observing with the 200p?

Thanks, James

People use a water butt stand to raise the scope up 30cm. There is the Sankey model but the one I prefer looks like the Titan model from Water Butts Direct. I paid £14.99 in a local homecare garden centre shop. You could just stand the three plastic feet of the Dob base directly on it. I made holes in the top surface so my Dob mount sits snuggly in place (looks like the two were made for each other). I use the whole assembly on the lawn, and find the water butt stand is usually wet afterwards, so it's doing a good job for my back and also protecting the Dob base chipboard.

By the way I also use a Telrad and a RACI finderscope and the latter also helps reduce back contortions.

To back up the above posts , the following have stopped my back issues with our 250: adjustable stool ( ebay cheap drum stool I have seen recommended on here but the link from Simon above looks even better, RACI and Telrad. I have considered a water butt stand as even though the 250 is a bit bigger when it's looking near the horizon it's quite low, but the stool caters for it so it's not an issue any more for me.

Ah yes cyborg! Thanks for that link, I was looking at 'ironing chairs' the other evening but I was concerned about the lack of adjusting, it seems a few of the reviewers have been using it as an observing chair too... genius - you've stumbled onto a good'n there! Cheers for the heads up.

I did see some people mention a water butt stand, We actually have a water butt in the garden, so if it's not to full I'll try before I buy if it's the right size!

Thanks all, it was starting to become a slight chore with the back pain, hopefully these tips will re-instate the joy once more :)

Sweet. Cheers for all the ideas! I have, for now, found a heavy duty round plastic chair that is about the same as a water butt stand. So that's set up now, nice and sturdy in the garden ahead of tonight's session. Fingers crossed it eases the troubles.

I just use a cheap small office chair I had laying around.

The only thing I did was to remove the arm rests. It's confortable for long periods and the adjustable hight allows you to find a good position, as you point the scope higher or lower in the sky.

• 2 years later...

I had a 200p and back pain, I found two answers:

• put a cam on the scope and sit in a nice warm room to watch remotely,
  • get something like a MAK so you can look through the back

Of course there are other solutions I tried: standing on an old beer crate, painkillers, etc..

P

A few more thoughts .... buy a base for a water butt and sit the scope on it, this raises the scope to a much better height .... secondly , buy a raci finder and  red dot finder,  using one then the other makes finding easier and puts less strain on your back.

these are great scopes though. Cheers

Back pain and trying to rotate the tube which was covered with frost - almost lost it - persuaded me to ditch my 130mm Skywatcher reflector in favour of a Celestron NexStar 6SE

Archived