Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How much gear can you own before your girlfriend knows you're lying when you say your total outlay equals "a couple of thousand bucks"?

Joves

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bless, you have not yet begun to spend, but fear not, you will still get through less than she does on shoes, bags, clothes, hair do's, pampering sessions at the spa, not to mention the flowers, gifts and special birthday/anniversary treats you have to get for her "or else".

Mike

i'd be really happy if someone bought me 'flowers, gifts and special treats' :rolleyes:

Mind you I'd probably be happier with a new eyepiece case :grin:

Why should a girlfriends opinion of what you do with your money matter?. Your money is your money until the day you marry her. Until then.....................spend spend spend because it will all be gone when you marry.

Depends if your girlfriends are short term distractions or somebody you are in a relationship with.

If its the latter then their opinion should matter unless you are monumentally selfish

*Awaits response from Luke and/or Sarah quietly pointing out they don't have this problem, and that even if they wanted to hide astro costs from each other, they wouldn't get away with it ;)* :).

There have been so many threads on this though, it's quite a common thing. This thread makes a good read.

I do think is always best to discuss these things if you are (or anyone else is) in a relationship, just as you would for buying anything else.

Since you linked to the other thread, Moonshane hit it on the head in one of the post he made there, when you are in a relationship for 20 odd years as I am and things like that cannot be done in a normal and natural way I'd say something is wrong with the relationship :D If you got to sneak behind someone's back to buy something that you should not really be buying something is wrong with the buyer :D

That is not to say we cannot joke about it here and have a bit of banter. I've got some birthday cash left so I want to buy another eyepiece, I don't need to consult the OH if it is my cash, if it comes out of the common pot we would discuss it, all is good in that case :) she has a mild interest in astro too, so that helps.

Couldn't agree more Alex :) me and mrs d have been together not far off 20 years, we both work, have a joint account for our shared responsibilities and what's left in my piggy bank is mine to fritter invest to my hearts content :eek: doesn't make us any less committed or happy, probably the opposite as we don't resent each other for anything :D

If I was buying bigger things like cars it might become more of a problem :eek: literally!

Couldn't agree more Alex :) me and mrs d have been together not far off 20 years, we both work, have a joint account for our shared responsibilities and what's left in my piggy bank is mine to fritter invest to my hearts content :eek: doesn't make us any less committed or happy, probably the opposite as we don't resent each other for anything :D

If I was buying bigger things like cars it might become more of a problem :eek: literally!

Or if you bought a 7" Apo, like Matthew :D.

Spot on, Alex. The thread was just started as a bit of light-hearted banter. My girlfriend doesn't mind whatsoever what I buy, nor do I mind what she buys. She just laughs and rolls her eyes a little when I walk in the front door with something under my arm.

Well, my missus thought we should have had more money in savings. I just said the bonus wasn't as high this year due to the recession and clients not spending so much :) I should be in the astronomy business me thinks! I reckon I have spent over £7000 now in 30 months. I shudder to think the cost per use during the naff weather the last 12 months when the lions share of that money has been spent.

No wife or no girlfriend, just me and the owls- happy days.

When you have a wife or GF you wish for some time without. When you don't have you wished you had. That's always how I have felt. Good to be happy yourself and can do what you want without constant whining.....

I think my wife would be more worried about the girlfriend than the gear! :grin:

If I had a girlfriend as well as a wife I'd have nothing left to spend on astro gear!

james

• 3 months later...

Update... Quite a few "meh" little items, but they're more just so I have a quick reference of what I have stashed away for quick reference:

Celestron Nextstar 130 SLT

25mm Celestron Plossl eyepiece

9mm Celestron Plossl eyepiece

7.5mm York eyepiece

2.5mm LV eyepiece

2x Barlow lens

Meade Planetary and Lunar Filter Set

Meade LX90 ACF 10" SCT

21mm Televue Ethos

13mm Televue Ethos

10mm Televue Ethos

3-6mm Televue Nagler zoom

15mm Televue Plossl

26mm Meade Plossl

Televue Short Everbrite 2" diagonal

Bintel SCT - 2" adaptor

Bintel 2" mirror diagonal

40mm FMC Bintel 2" eyepiece

Orion flex dew shield

Orion Flip Mirror

Bintel Nebula filter

Astronomik UHC filter

Astronomik UHC 2" filter

Astronomik OIII CCD filter

Astronomik SII CCD filter

Astronomik Ha (H-alpha) CCD filter

Astronomik Hb (H-beta) filter

Astronomik CLS CCD filter

Astronomik L filter - Type 2C

Astronomik Planet IR Pro filter

Astronomik MC-Klarglass filter

Batinov focus mask for Meade 10" SCT

Orion Starsoot Deep Space Video Camera II

Orion Starshoot LCD-DVR

Orion Starseek Wifi Telescope Control Module

Bintel 0.5 focal reducer

Bintel 2" to 1.25" focuser adaptor

ProStar C-mount male to T-mount female adapter

GSTAR-EX wireless video transmitter/receiver

JMI Microfocus for Meade LX90 SCT

Digitech USB Converter - USB to RS232 DB9

Meade #505 Cable Connector Set

12VDC 7.5A Power Adaptor with Cigarette Socket

Bintel DC Power Cable Meade

Cigarette lighter double adaptor

Bintel Connector Cable DC

Coronado PST (Personal Solar Telescope)

Orion Mini Giant 9x63 Binoculars

Canon 18x50 IS Binoculars

Bintel binocular L-bracket

Manfrotto Compact Series tripod with photo-movie head kit

Manfrotto 290 Series monopod

Manfrotto Light Duty Pistol-Grip Ball Head

Bushnell Binocular Tripod Adaptor

Bintel Hurricane Blower

Bintel Lens Cleaning Liquid

TeleVue TV-76

Televue Gibraltar Manual Alt-AZ Mount with Sky Tour

Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 Synscan mount

Mallincam Xtreme 2 (with Class 0 CCD Sensor) - PAL colour

HDX2 heat dissipater with dual attached fans

Mallincam control cable for RS232 cameras

Mallincam Wired Keypad Controller

Mallincam Wireless Exposure Control System

Mallincam MFR-5 focal reducer

10mm extension ring

5mm extension ring

Mallincam 2.5x Barlow lens

Mallincam IR filter

Mallincam optical window

Mallincam MCV-1 capture device with built-in enhancer

Mallincam Composite or S-video Upscaler to HDMI - Pal

MCSV-25 S-Video Cable 25ft

Lens Pen Sensor Klear II Pen and Hurricane Blower

Lens Pen Mini Pro

Just tell her the truth and admit your a hoarder and that you need help.

Dear Joves, you clearly need help, but lucky for you, we in the hastily convened Astronomer Recycling Support Enterprise ("Bottom") are here to help.

Simply unburden yourself of guilt - and help your relationship - by gifting items from your unhealthily extensive collection - free of charge - to Stargazer's Lounge forum members.....

I look forward to receiving my 13mm Ethos in the post very soon. There - already feels better doesn't it  

:laugh:

"Honestly dear, I haven't spend anywhere near £1000."

James

I can honestly say, hand on heart, that I haven't spent anywhere near £1000 on astronomy stuff. Just don't ask what number the actual total is closer to :rolleyes:.

Dear Joves, you clearly need help, but lucky for you, we in the hastily convened Astronomer Recycling Support Enterprise ("Bottom") are here to help.

Simply unburden yourself of guilt - and help your relationship - by gifting items from your unhealthily extensive collection - free of charge - to Stargazer's Lounge forum members.....

I look forward to receiving my 13mm Ethos in the post very soon. There - already feels better doesn't it  

:laugh:

:evil:

Hello Joves. If FLO run out of stock could they contact you to supply them. :-)

:)

I was doing a fairly good job of hiding/disguising my kit a few years back until I went to one of the autumn Kellings and Kate decided to do some tidying up. I got home to a very neat but quite large pile of invoices/receipts. Took a while to explain... explaining that I was just about to start working for FLO didn't really help....

James

Archived