Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which scope should I get

Hi All

A bit of advice please on my first Telescope, I have been looking around various forums and the general advice is a 8” Dobsonian but which one is the best quality/value for money a Meade Lightbridge Dobsonian DLX or a Skywatcher Skyline 200P or do I go bigger to a Skywatcher 250PX

I would also need some decent quality eye pieces I don’t mind paying a bit more for these as I will be able to use them for other telescopes as I progress to bigger and better ones. Does the eye piece size make much difference in what you can see i.e. 1.25” or a 2”

Any advice will be taken on board.

Many thanks in advance.

Dave

To me the 'downsides' of the 250PX vs 8" are 1. it's bigger, whether that's a problem for you depends on how big / strong you are and how much you need to move it around by yourself. 2. It's faster ( at f4.7) which means it is less forgiving of budget (aprox less than £100 an EP) EP's esp. wide angles, that may not be a problem as your post indicates you do not mind paying 'a bit more.'

Otherwise, the aperture means better for DSO's.

I would not swap my 250 for anything smaller, despite being a small, weak middle aged woman & needing hubby to help me carry it out.

just got the 200p last week and was blown away truly amazing scope for the money i would say the ep might wont up grading up but for the price its brilliant ! Be able to lots with this scope all in all you wont be disappointed.

Clear sky's

Matty

I am not really sure you would go wrong with the meade or the skywatcher. Meade has had a few problems in the quality control stakes, but that has been mainly in the electronic side. Their optics are excellent. On the other hand the skywatcher 250 px flexitube which is the equivalent size is a £150 cheaper. Something to remember with these half truss dobs is that they are heavier than their solid tube counterparts so although they pack smaller they do weigh more. It has been touched on but these scopes have fast optics and consequently will benefit from better quality eyepieces. 2" eyepieces give a wider view and that's what these big dobs do best touring the heavens vacuuming up photons. Explore scientific 68 degree or 82 are probably your entry level at this focal ratio. maxvision if they are still around are the same eyepieces, As are meade 5000 swa or uwa the meade are pricier generally but often have a bundle deal where if you buy 2 the second one has a substantial discount. so it is worth looking at the meades. Its worth scouring the classifieds for used televue all televues will work up to their design limits in whichever scope you use. Have fun

Hi Dave

Tough one this. Most points covered well above.

An 8" may well see you wanting to upgrade sooner, but a 10" may well be found to be too big and heavy a lump.

A lot depends on you. For me a 10" is a light, little grab n go, for others it's a big awkward lump.

If you haven't already. go and have a look at a few scopes either at your local astro society or at a good Astro shop (most have an 8" or a 10" scope you can get a hands on experience with).

You can't beat a bit of hands on experience.

You won't go far wrong with either TBH. Either can be a lifetime scope or a grab n go.

hi..... i got my first real scope last week skywatcher 200p . highly recommend this scope nice straight forward set and great views off every thing you point it at :) All in all its a excellent bit off kit . don't believe me check the reviews on here lol that's what persuaded me :D

clear sky's

matty

I think that anyone just starting out should have a paddle in the shallow end before diving into the deep end. It's not everyone who enjoys the clear winter nights for example.

I'd go for the 200 Dob as the ideal starter, just to help learn the skies and find targets. It's a great grab and go scope and one you'll find gives superb results,

Nick.

The very best thing you can do if you have the opportunity it to get hands on with any telescope you are considering buying. This enables you to do two things, The first one is to handle the telescope, feel how heavy it is (if you are going to have to move it about) and find out how it is to move it around the night sky, is it comfortable for you to use? The second is to actually look at the different views each scope can give side by side so they can be directly compared. Of course this is not so easy to arrange unless you have a local venue with a good variety of telescopes available at any one time. The Astronomy Centre between Todmorden and Bacup is a good place if you can get up there. Come up any Saturday evening and try out the scopes available. Telescopes available to try out include Dobsonians from 6 - 17 inches, equatorial mounts and a whole variety of other scopes and altaz mounts. Good luck!

Hi Dave,

Good advice given above. Personally I'd go for the biggest scope you can afford (provided you can deal with the size/weight issue).

Eye piece wise, the barrel size (1.25 inch or 2 inch) doesn't govern how much you can see in most focal lengths of EP. It only makes a difference with longer FL EP's (generally longer than 24mm) and then usually only the wide angle EP's. If you want to see more sky through the lens you should go for the SWA (68 degree) or UWA (82 degree) or even the XWA (100 degree and up) EP's. If you want to see things at a higher magnification, such as the planets you'll want the shorter focal length EP's

The scopes that you are considering are pretty fast and as has been mentioned they will be unforgiving of mediocre EP's.

There are quite a few manufacturers of very good quality lenses at various price points. We all have our favourites but Televue are generally thought of as producing some of the best (and most expensive) lenses. There are other excellent lines such as Pentax (if you can find them), Vixen (particularly the LVW's), SkyWatcher's Nirvana's, Explore Scientific, Meade 5000's.

If you have the budget for it EP shopping can be addictive - :grin:

The 8" and 10" are similar at the eyepiece. The 10" has the edge, of course, but the difference isn't vast. Both produce good views. If you're not impressed by what you see in an 8" then you won't be impressed with a 10" either (or possibly anything at all, for that matter).

I would look at secondary criteria in making this choice. e.g. If aren't happy to spend money on better eyepieces to cope with the faster focal ratio of the 10", then go for the 8". If you're at all worried about portability or storage then go for the 8". Etc.. Do some Googling on this topic. The 8" vs 10" thing comes up constantly on fora such these. We're happy to answer questions, but the answers are all already out there if you want the information quickly. You can also look on Cloudy Nights.

A good 8" or 10" is a scope you'd keep even if you go larger in future. Larger scopes are more hassle and need to be complemented with something more manageable.

Hi Dave

For me a 10" is a light, little grab n go, for others it's a big awkward lump.

Are you popeye by any chance :D Looking at the weight of a 10 inch it is not that heavy, but it is big enough with the OTA to make a least a little cumbersome to carry by the looks, not that I ever tried it not having one, but all the same I would not exactly classify it as Grab and Go for most normal humans, Grab and Go I see as something you pick up in one hand and are happy to carry a 100 yards or more into the field. I guess that will teach anyone not to pick a fight with you :p

I think you should take paulastro's advice and view before you buy. Also, once you start you may well find that your opinions and what you want to do change. I started out intent on just visual, now I am more or less at the complete opposite by doing mainly imaging. Maybe you will want GOTO scopes. Where are you likely to view? Being exposed to the elements on a dark very frosty night isn't everyone's cup of tea.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 250 as a first telescope, excellent piece of kit. Although I haven't picked up a 200, they are both the same length so can be a huge difference in weight.

I would say go for the 250 if you want a Dob and aren't worried about a big telescope. However if you are maybe consider a different type of telescope.

I now have a 6se and would say it gives a much crisper view than the Dob and can carry it with ease.

You don't need to view before you buy if getting the 8", it's big, but very easy to handle in its 2 parts and is ridiculously good value for the money.

Any bigger than that and I think I would take a look first, just to check storage and portability.

But why the 10"? Why not a 12"?! :grin:

Cheers

Archived