Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet ISON update!

Unless they all went to the pub to drown their sorrows after watching it seemingly disappear into the sun, and have missed all the latest fun ;)

Scientists do give up easier than the stargazer community :p

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something has definitely survived past perihelion, because if the comet had totally vaporised some hours earlier then the gas and dust would long since have been swept away, as happens with the tail,  and would not still be following the cometary orbit. Anything still following the main orbit would have to be sizeable chunks.

Looking at the change in trajectory I think that ISON will now be lower down at sunrise but be higher up at sunset than it would have been if it had followed it's original path.  Maybe the solar guys can confirm this.

Nice and bright on Helioviewer.

Mind you not nearly as bright as it was heading in.

Nice find, thank you.

however, pardon me but I'm not sure I agree with you (heheee!) on the brightness, please elaborate :) :) it looks very impressive, compared to earlier emergence pics, or maybe it is wishfull thinking and my glass of Laphroaig ?!

I have lost orientation but if any of those other objects in the frame are still Arcturus then it is still well bright compared with its way in,

but if none of them are Arcturus then I will have to agree with you

did that make sense :) ?

But isn't this the first comet that they have observed going into and then back out of the sun. It started off bright and then dimmed as it entered the corona. Maybe it will pck up in magnitude as it gets further from the suns forces.

I don't know, but maybe the profs don't either.

I'm just glad something survived and we didn't all lose faith so quickly.

Nice find, thank you.

however, pardon me but I'm not sure I agree with you (heheee!) on the brightness, please elaborate :) :) it looks very impressive, compared to earlier emergence pics, or maybe it is wishfull thinking and my glass of Laphroaig ?!

I have lost orientation but if any of those other objects in the frame are still Arcturus then it is still well bright,

but if none of them are Arcturus then I will have to agree with you

did that make sense

I just think that it shows on the switch from C2 to C3 that it looks brighter than I expected, just bright is all. Even on C2 it's clearly reflecting light so whatever remains is still a substantial amount of something.

Looks like LASCO has as intrepid a history as ISON: (from http://lasco-www.nrl.navy.mil/index.php?p=content/intro )

LASCO comprises of three telescopes (C1, C2 and C3), each of which looks at an increasingly large area surrounding the Sun. For the first year-and-a-half of the SOHO mission, all three instruments worked perfectly. However, in 1998 SOHO was accidentally "lost" in space after it received a bad command. The entire spacecraft lost power and essentialy froze solid for several weeks. Eventually -- miraculously! -- the SOHO team were able to relocate the spacecraft, regain control and slowly power-up and thaw out the instruments. Sadly, the LASCO C1 camera was lost as a result of this but the rest of spacecraft came through almost completely unscathed! Eight years later -- and over ten years since launch -- LASCO C2 and C3 (and most of the rest of SOHO!) continue to work extremely well, sending back images and data on a daily basis.

Archived