Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet ISON update!

What I'm finding amazing and interesting is the trail left pre-perihelion is still visible in the latest photos. I thought the solar wind would have pushed that all aside by now. Even the split tail is still visible. What was also interesting in the vids was the huge burst in the direction of the comet as it made its approach.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which was the comet that lost its tail wot got blown away by a cme but grew a new one ?

Could this be a similar but more extreme situation ?

All the tail(s) and coma  &etc.  and all whatever free-floating stuff got stripped off in its passage through the corona down to a bare but intact core

invisible core to the instruments and their pre-programmed sensitivity (ISO!)

and now it is re-growing its coma, tail(s) and all the other stuff ?

Which was the comet that lost its tail wot got blown away by a cme but grew a new one ?

Could this be a similar but more extreme situation ?

All the tail(s) and coma  &etc.  and all whatever free-floating stuff got stripped off in its passage through the corona down to a bare but intact core

invisible core to the instruments and their pre-programmed sensitivity (ISO!)

and now it is re-growing its coma, tail(s) and all the other stuff ?

http://www.space.com/13959-doomed-comet-lovejoy-sun-encounter-wrap.html ?

It's late and I'm the wrong side of a bottle of beaujolais nouveau so I wonder if there will be as much going on in the morning?

Hope so but I wont get my hopes up.

It's late and I'm the wrong side of a bottle of beaujolais nouveau

Hope so but I wont get my hopes up.

You've gotta maintain hope ! Even my side of a wee dram of Laphroaig ;)

but back to the striped carcass theory

someone earlier (such a busy thread, sorry, Cygnus?) identified an isolated speck in one of the special sensor/spacecraft pics that was in the right place at the right time of perihlion

might that have been the bare nucleus ?

I have thought of that speck too, I doubt it's been missed by those who know but it was definitely there, nucleus or not there was a speck.

Also Ian Musgrave from my own home town and everyone should follow regardless of comets has speculatively  drawn comparisons to Lovejoy.

Didn't know he was a Princess Bride fan but it was a cracker of a film.

http://astroblogger.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/is-comet-c2012-ison-channelling-comet.html

Well I think that takes care of all the exciting moments !

the follow-up can be left to the usual outlets :)

I'm going to bed,

I think I can safely say that if it had disintegrated and evaporated we would looking forward to a month of clear night skies,

as it is, with the prospect of a possible ISON rebirth I predict a month of cloudy nights !

nitenight,

thanks all for your interesting company.

Archived