Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet ISON update!

It would be nice to see this as a naked eye object. I hope very much that's what we get as we all have been looking forward to something special.

Difficult to be too optimistic of that; Lovejoy was much, much brighter at this stage. But who knows with this defiant thing?

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favourite quote so far :grin::

"It is now clear that Comet ISON either survived or did not survive, or... maybe both," Bruce Betts, director of projects for the Planetary Society, said in a Twitter update. "Hope that clarifies things."

Battams said it's too early to write ISON off completely. :hiding:

"Right now it does appear that a least some small fraction of ISON has remained in one piece and is actively releasing material," he wrote. "We have no idea how big this nucleus is, if there is indeed one. If there is a nucleus, it is still too soon to tell how long it will survive. If it does survive for more than a few days, it is too soon to tell if the comet will be visible in the night sky. If it is visible in the night sky, it is too soon to say how bright it will be. ... I think you get the picture, yes?"

Story here:

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/comet-ison-vanishes-puff-mystery-it-goes-around-sun-2D11670914

As part of the NASA CIOC group I have been credited with being one of the first ( if not the first ) to spot ISON as it emerged from its encounter with the Sun! After a hectic night analyzing the real time images, I spotted a faint trail leaving the corona and created a short video. NASA had just announced the comets demise and were so surprised they asked me for a copy. I have spent quite a while talking to news outlets including CNN. http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/29/us/ison-comet/

Here is my video animation made from the Lasco-C2 images.

Frustratingly there seem to be no new images posted from SOHO since 09:22, almost three hours ago - is this an expected communications gap, glitch or, just possibly, a dark conspiracy?

Seriously though it would be great to see some new images if anyone can find anything more recent.

Actually looking back through ftp://sohoftp.nascom.nasa.gov/incoming/lasco/rtmovie_jpg24/ there seem to be quite a few significant gaps of 3hrs +, so looks quite likely to be gaps in ground coverage or other use of the links.

Frustratingly there seem to be no new images posted from SOHO since 09:22, almost three hours ago - is this an expected communications gap, glitch or, just possibly, a dark conspiracy?

Seriously though it would be great to see some new images if anyone can find anything more recent.

You have to take into account SOHO is nearly 30 years old and a fairly knackered spacecraft.  The high gain antenna is broken as are all the gyroscopes.  If it was a car it would be on the back of an AA lorry.

Also it is not the only thing out there needing a down link.

Thanks for hanging in there Mallorcasaint and providing information.  Has been a very exciting event for all of us in the Stalls too!  Let's face it:  Comets are very unpredicable and this one is full of surprises.  Wish I'd seen in pre-perihelion but what I've observed over the past 24 hours has been priceless.  Very exciting time when we saw the images of it reappearing.

No matter what happens, this has been a highlight of my astronomical year. 

You have to take into account SOHO is nearly 30 years old and a fairly knackered spacecraft.  The high gain antenna is broken as are all the gyroscopes.  If it was a car it would be on the back of an AA lorry.

Also it is not the only thing out there needing a down link.

So we should have been more worried about Soho surviving perihelion!     Although it does speak volumes for build quality that it's still producing great science after so many systems failures and 3 months in deep freeze.

Actually looking back through ftp://sohoftp.nascom.nasa.gov/incoming/lasco/rtmovie_jpg24/ there seem to be quite a few significant gaps of 3hrs +, so looks quite likely to be gaps in ground coverage or other use of the links.

The STEREO beacon images are usually the must-to-date: http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/beacon/beacon_secchi.shtml

So we should have been more worried about Soho surviving perihelion!     Although it does speak volumes for build quality that it's still producing great science after so many systems failures and 3 months in deep freeze.

Well I did my best!

As part of the NASA CIOC group I have been credited with being one of the first ( if not the first ) to spot ISON as it emerged from its encounter with the Sun! After a hectic night analyzing the real time images, I spotted a faint trail leaving the corona and created a short video. NASA had just announced the comets demise and were so surprised they asked me for a copy. I have spent quite a while talking to news outlets including CNN. http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/29/us/ison-comet/

Here is my video animation made from the Lasco-C2 images.

Brilliant stuff!!!  Well done indeed!

Helen

Archived