SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet ISON update!

Glad to see it seems to be alive again. From "Pushing up the daisies, joined the choir invisible" to "I'm not dead yet!.... I'm feeling better!" quite a roller-coaster ride. No chance of seeing it here at the moment

Certainly gives me hope! 2013 has been a bummer of a year personally but these current events are a real tonic! :) 

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a video I've just made with the latest (low-res) STEREO imagery; the ahead craft followed by behind. I think it shows a nice view of the comet up to 09:24 this morning.

ISON's certainly proving interesting, if not promising for spectacular observing.

Incredible.

Shibby - nice video there from the stereo imaging.    This shows a definite drop in magnitude from the approach and Ison seems to get a real battering from the solar wind around as it approaches 1 o'clock.

Definitely beaten, my nerves feel a little frazzled!

Ian Musgrave said his measurements put the trajectory as the same to within a half a arc minute.

So maybe there is evidence of the nucleus at perihelion(speck pic) and the comet is still on course, could this be normal behaviour?

I've given up trying to call it.

It looks quite bright in that image with a tail building. Or am i looking at the wrong thing?

Its at 12 o'Clock in that image, looking bright to me :smiley: Would be interested to know whether the Point's seen in last night images corresponded with the comets position, once the orbit has been worked out  :smiley:

I can't seem to find any scientific analysis anywhere on the web on what we're now seeing.   Are the scientists worried about reputations or something?  Or maybe they're too busy with analysis to go public, and I can understand that.  I don't think there's been any news on the spectral analysis they must have been gathering on the comet at perihelion and I think this was of primary importance to them.

Someone made the comment on this thread earlier that Scientists give up before Astronomers.   I love that!  Given our constant battles with the weather we're ever hopeful and with no reputations at risk, we can afford to be comfortably optimistic.  I was resigned to it being over at 8pm last night when NASA went off air, so the only reason I have any hope are those images that are playing out what we would expect to see happening if it didn't burn out.  It appears to be getting brighter and I'm assuming the farther away it gets from the Sun, the more stable the situation becomes. 

Too early to call how coherent that nucleus is but surely there is something substantial there or it would be dissipating noticeably. I'm definitely hopeful of a naked eye spectacle.

Ever the optimist

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

I know what you mean. Went to bed last night full of hope expecting SOME news in the morning, but as of yet nothing from any of the professionals.

Well a lot of them are still in bed, assuming they have consumed turkey and vast amounts of fermented beverages....  :D

Archived