SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet ISON update!

So, it's gone from somethng to nothing to something to nothing to something to dead to possibly alive again. Will this thing please make up it's damn mind. Recent SOHO shots looks pretty impressive though, there is hope still.

From Comet of the Century to looks like it over to it's over to a surprising survival to there's a bit of hope left...

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at the background star field in these C3 images, the relative brightness of object diminishes as they get closer to the suns disk - so it's not so surprising to see this apparent brightening as Ison moves away from the sun.

But looking at IanL's montage of C3 shots, I would argue that Ison must be a higher mag now than it was @ 27/11 22:18 given it's still much closer.

Great fun speculating and will be interesting to see what the boffins release this morning.

The little speck that was first posted here is only just starting to be discussed in the yahoo group where the big hitters in cometography are posting their updates.

Looks as if some missed it first time around.

Oh, and 'morning all. :)

Comet ISON emerged from today's close brush with the Sun as a headless ghost, as seen in the animation at right. Notice how the brightest strand, somewhat back from the leading point, is shedding material radially away from the Sun, as if vast numbers of debris chunks in the cloud are all behaving as tiny comet nuclei. The cloud is expected to disperse.

Also some speculation the speck picture is not real. :rolleyes2:

It was posted pretty quickly, I think it may be a case of too many people had their papers all done and dusted ready for submission instead of paying attention.

Glad I am not the only one, Jake. I am guessing that NASA did not anticipate so much interest. Immensely frustrating. I have been having problems viewing the SOHO images for several hours now. 

I've had to rely on you guys and have been checking up on this thread whilst getting on with offline stuff at the same time!

There must be a nucleus there still as new material blowing down sun from it.

On approach the tail was well formed because it remained on an almost linear track.

Now it's swung round the tail is getting very much fanned out. Once it stabilises on its outward trajectory I imagine a nice straight tail will re form.

Sent from my ZT ICS using Tapatalk 4

Glad I am not the only one, Jake. I am guessing that NASA did not anticipate so much interest. Immensely frustrating. I have been having problems viewing the SOHO images for several hours now. 

I've had to rely on you guys and have been checking up on this thread whilst getting on with offline stuff at the same time!

On the other hand, although frustrating that it is not instant, how cool is it that we can view images within an hour or two of a satellite way out in space, taking pictures of the sun? Watching the images come in and some of the data feeds last night really made me feel part of what is going on (same with the Curiosity landing). There is room for improvement, but this is far better than waiting 3 weeks for the next Sky At Night to be on or pick up a story in the Daily Mail with their own unique spin on it.

Here's a video I've just made with the latest (low-res) STEREO imagery; the ahead craft followed by behind. I think it shows a nice view of the comet up to 09:24 this morning.

ISON's certainly proving interesting, if not promising for spectacular observing.

On the other hand, although frustrating that it is not instant, how cool is it that we can view images within an hour or two of a satellite way out in space, taking pictures of the sun? Watching the images come in and some of the data feeds last night really made me feel part of what is going on (same with the Curiosity landing). There is room for improvement, but this is far better than waiting 3 weeks for the next Sky At Night to be on or pick up a story in the Daily Mail with their own unique spin on it.

The images are excellent - I think it's fair to say that the demand has swamped the website, but Jarrods FTP link seems to be much more reliable but still lags 'real time' by almost an hour.   Still you can't blame the boffins for wanting to get a first look in on the data.

Archived