NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from Liverpool

Jamba1971

I'm Jay, interested in astronomy all my life but only recently bought a telescope.

I have a Celestron eq130md which I'm still getting to grips with. All assembled and using the kit lenses. Managed to view Jupiter and moons and Saturn more recently! Interested in understanding astronomy more and move into astro photography.

Any advice regarding type of webcam/nosepiece for capturing video or stills gratefully accepted!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jay,

Warm welcome to SGl. A book that will save you cash in the long run is 'making every photon count' its a great guide to astrophotography. Aslo for guiding you round the sky try a copy of 'sky & telescope pocket star atlas'. When you have five minutes download a planetarium program, try stellarium its great and free!..To be found here :- http://www.stellarium.org/

Find your local astro group as nothing is better then seeing waht other folk have and then what suits your needs in terms of webcams etc. Take steps rather than leaps and you have a hobby for life!.

Hi Jay & welcome to SGL.

I would also recommend this book - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

I have read it even though I'm only an observer, I found the section on mounts particularly useful.

I would also recommend the Stellarium planterium software, but have recently started to use Cartes Du Ciel - this takes a bit longer to set up but appears clearer on the display when asked to display more objects. They are both free to download & use.

Just my opinion of course.

Clear skies & enjoy!

Hi Jay welcome to the lounge,

learn your way around the night sky and try to master your equipment before

moving into AP, observing is the best way forward, +1 for Stellarium.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

I'm Jay, interested in astronomy all my life but only recently bought a telescope.

I have a Celestron eq130md which I'm still getting to grips with. All assembled and using the kit lenses. Managed to view Jupiter and moons and Saturn more recently! Interested in understanding astronomy more and move into astro photography.

Any advice regarding type of webcam/nosepiece for capturing video or stills gratefully accepted!

Hi & Welcome from me too , if you get chance visit Liverpool AS website and check out the public night times and events , some good guys and advice to be had.

Rob

Hi Jay and welcome to the group. Lots of info here and plenty of friendly advice.

I do reccomend that you come along to our observatory at Cronton, just outside of Liverpool, were you will find like minded astronomers to chat to.

We are open every Wednesday evening from 19:00 regardless of the weather. Details can be found on our website:

http://liverpoolas.o...eekly-meetings/

Ask for Brendan (Oservatory Director) or myself, Dave Galvin. I look forward to meeting up.

Regards from Dave.

Hi Jay, and welcome to SGL.

Another vote here for 'Making Every Photon Count' it will save you a lot more than it's cover price when choosing equipment for astrophotography... more importantly, it will save making expensive mistakes.

Clear Skies,

Archived