Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ISS flyover @ 01:08 tonight

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the heads up Sam, your post was showing in the 'Recent Topics' section on the main page as I was browsing it so I caught the pass just in time, it's always an amazing sight!! :smiley:

I also tracked it on SatTrack on my android mobile and it's the first time I've seen in pass directly over my head (East Central Scotland) on the live view map, what a really nice high, long pass, it just faded from view as it hit the coast of Africa cost on the map - it really gives you a sense of how fast it's travelling to see it on the map at the same time. :smiley:

It was very bright tonight, though I was mid run on imaging Saturn (again), so only had the Mk1 eyeball to admire - would like to try and catch it on camera at some point - although it moves so fast it would have to be manual tracking for me!

Saw it at 23:35, 01:09, and again at 02:46. Very lucky! I even saw ATV-4 following the same trajectory at 02:09. Can't believe that they will be docking together soon! Watch out on the 14th, apparently they will only be a minute or two apart in preparation for the docking on the 15th!

Great stuff ! I wasn't expecting I it, just happened to spot it. It was a really good transit, high and visible all the way over.

Mental note made for 14th!

Likewise - about 1.15am where I was - the icing on the cake after a good observing session - I will diary in the 14th as well.!!

Weather isn't looking too good for me for the 14th and I've just realised that my OH got tickets to see Elvis Costello that night, so I'll probably be on a train home when ISS is passing over.

Just checked heavens-above.com for times etc, and it looks like they are still separate on the evening of the 15th, showing at 20 mins apart ATV-4 due at 22:09, followed by ISS at 22:37.

Last solo pass for ATV-4 is the 15th at 23:43 (travelling WSW - SW - SW), followed by ISS at 00:15 (travelling WSW - SW - SW). The next time ISS is visible on the 16th @ 23:25, ATV-4 will be docked!

Did anyone see the 10:45 ISS pass earlier in the evening? As it went over there were two other objects about a third the brightness of the ISS traveling very quick from south to north. They were too fast to be aircraft and appeared lower than the ISS - but much higher than normal flight paths. So far I've not been able to identify them but they were on the same trajectory with one appearing to follow the other at the same speed.

Any ideas? :)

Did anyone see the 10:45 ISS pass earlier in the evening? As it went over there were two other objects about a third the brightness of the ISS traveling very quick from south to north. They were too fast to be aircraft and appeared lower than the ISS - but much higher than normal flight paths. So far I've not been able to identify them but they were on the same trajectory with one appearing to follow the other at the same speed.

No idea, but saw the same thing on the ATV-4 pass at 00:33 this morning (08.06.13). Was awake until 5:00am trying to work out what they were. They were probably about the same brightness as the ATV-4, and very close together.

Wife and I witnessed the same event Kim, She said "ooh that one is going much faster" she wasn`t kidding, whatever it was going at quite a pace, I have also no idea :)

Have never (knowingly) seen the ISS yet, I must make an effort to have a go.

Matt,

This link - http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/view.cgi?country=United_Kingdom&region=England&city=Leeds#.UbMOT3lwaUk - will show you when it's due, and which direction to look in for it. If it's not cloudy, you can't miss it, even with the naked eye. It's usually bang on time.

Alan

I just assumed it was a shooting star. Is that not likely? I was a bit gutted actually as my wife spotted it when I took her outside to see the ISS going over. How dare she? I'm supposed to be the seasoned professional! I've had my scope outside about seven times since I bought it (damn uni and damn UK weather!)

Regarding the ISS, I thought I'd post this link in case anyone didn't already know about it: http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/ You can register where you live and will receive an e-mail in the morning telling you what time the station will pass over that night (if it won't make an appearance, you won't get an e-mail).

Also, how do people actually view the ISS with a scope? I tried one night and quickly realised I couldn't do it. I ended up trying to get the scope ahead of its path and watch as it whizzed by, but it still just looked like a bright ball of light. Had my binoculars out last night but they're not very high powered so it still just looked like a very bright star.

I've had the ISS Detector app on Android for a while, but haven't actively used it.

However, I managed to catch it twice over the weekend, once on Friday and once on Saturday.

Found it difficult to try and poke my bins out the window to get a better view, plus that might have looked a bit dodgy - although not many people about that hour.

Saw it at 23:35, 01:09, and again at 02:46. Very lucky! I even saw ATV-4 following the same trajectory at 02:09. Can't believe that they will be docking together soon! Watch out on the 14th, apparently they will only be a minute or two apart in preparation for the docking on the 15th!

Definately going to have to look out for this. Dont want to miss another one off chance!

Archived