Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nagler 12mm T4 versus 13mm T6

Tiki

I've owned the 13mm T6 Nagler but not the 12mm T4 although I have owned other T4's. Optically there will be little or nothing between them apart from a little more magnification from the 12mm of course. The 12mm T4 has a hybrid 1.25" / 2" barrel and is somewhat bulkier than the 13mm T6. T4's have larger eye lenses and more eye relief than the other Naglers so can seem more comfortable to view through and a bit more "immersive". They also have a top section that moves up and down with a click stop action - it's called "Instajust" and is to help you get your eye to the correct position for the longer eye relief.

I have heard that the 13T6 is a tiny bit sharper than the 12T4, but cannot verify that. The big difference is the eye relief: 12mm for the 13T6 and 17mm for the 12T4. The former is not good enough for those who need to wear glasses when observing, the latter is OK. Another big difference is the weight: 460g for the 12T4, and 182g for the 13T6. I have the 12T4 and it is great. If I did not wear glasses while observing, I would have opted for the 13T6 (or just kept the Meade 14mm UWA).

I have the 12mm T4 but never compared it to the T6 13mm. From what I gather its down to aesthetics more than anything else.

If you like smaller lightweight eyepieces go with the 13mm T6. If you prefer big eye-lenses and long eye relief go with the 12mm T4. Can't lose either way.

I find the 10mm eye relief of my 16mm Type 2 Nagler much more usable than a Nagler T6 I used previously. maybe if you can find one a 12mm Nagler T2 would be a good buy. they are an older eyepiece though and not sold often.

Thanks for your replies.

Does anyone know how the eye-relief of the 13T6 compare to the 9T6. I have a 9T6 which in terms of eye-relief is just about as tight as i like to go.

I use a 7mm, 9mm and 13mm T6. I like that they are parfocal, compact and light weight, ensuring no balancing issues when interacting between them. In terms of eye relief, the 13mm is perhaps a little more relaxed. Jumping between 13mm and 9mm is I think complementary.

I have the 12mm t4 and love it. It's very immersive. However it is very heavy and I can't reach focus using it in my MN190 with extension. Therefore I am considering moving to the 13mm t6 so it's par focal with my 9mm.

There was a 1mt4 on ABS recently for a very very good price.

I have the 12mm t4 and love it. It's very immersive. However it is very heavy and I can't reach focus using it in my MN190 with extension. Therefore I am considering moving to the 13mm t6 so it's par focal with my 9mm.

There was a 1mt4 on ABS recently for a very very good price.

*12mm t4

The Nagler T6's all have the same eye relief - 12mm. Their eye cups are quite thick though and don't fold back too easily or flex as your face nestles in. This may be why Shane finds the 10mm eye relief of the 16mm T2 easier to access than the 12mm of the T6.

The eye-relief of the 9mm and 13mm are the same. The only other difference that I don't see flagged up it the 12mm costs more. I have or have had all of the eyepieces you are talking about and I would go with the 13mm, it is just, well nice. I find the 12mm a bit too chunch for a my liking and I know it's nothing but I am not a big fan of this dual fitting system of 2 inch and 1.25inch, but that's just me.

Some say the 13mm is sharper, if it is I never noticed.

In truth everthing has been said well by other members.

Alan.

Got to ask.....

I still have one of the original {"and best") Nagler 13mm, I suppose you call it now Type 1....

It was used on an 18" f4.5 system for a year or so (before I broke my back!....seriously...) I had to sell the 18" and went to the Lx200's and later spectroscopy.

It's been sitting in the box since then....any ideas how this might compare with the current offerings???

Well spotted, it was about 0610 this morning I wrote that, I was going to say Chunky. It is too chunky for a 12mm eyepiece, then again the Delos's are much the same, I don't really know know what I mean I just like the T6's more.

Alan.

Got to ask.....

I still have one of the original {"and best") Nagler 13mm, I suppose you call it now Type 1....

It was used on an 18" f4.5 system for a year or so (before I broke my back!....seriously...) I had to sell the 18" and went to the Lx200's and later spectroscopy.

It's been sitting in the box since then....any ideas how this might compare with the current offerings???

Optically perhaps not much - differing batches of glass apart - but to give you some idea of how much weight has been shed, is the T6 next to the proverbial can next to it's 13mm plossl relative !

andrew

Archived