Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Delos Sale ?

John

Why do I keep doing the dumbest things - posted my question AFTER placing my order. Suppose I'll just have to sit and stew. What's the betting viewing will be great until the day it arrives?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do I keep doing the dumbest things - posted my question AFTER placing my order. Suppose I'll just have to sit and stew. What's the betting viewing will be great until the day it arrives?

Ramstar,

Your not on you own, I placed an order for a 190mm M/n scope by SW and ordered a mount based on a picture on their catalogue (HEQ 5 Pro with M/N on it). It was before I joined SGL sadly, later I find out the mount is not really big enough, it's OKish for visual but thats it.

Alan.

I've got 1 Delos eyepiece (10mm) but I have an uneasy feeling in that he doesn't have any siblings.

If this situation lasts for too long I'm sure he will suffer psychologically.

How long can he last before company is required ? :wink:

I am tempted by the 8mm to fill a gap in my XW's, but SCS want £30 to deliver to Northern Ireland postcodes!!

It must being delivered via Antartica!

That must be down to the carrier they are using. I sent a small parcel to the USA today, it cost £17.60 by Fedex !

It's all about the Delos, isn't it?!

I was sceptical at first, but it sounds like it's at least Pentax XW quality, but with a full range.

I'm actually considering restructuring my eyepieces around a couple of Delos' now.

Why no ~23mm?

It seems that Tele Vue have actually surpassed their own design goals with the Delos. Their design concept says "...a long eye-relief eyepiece design in the 70° AFOV range, retaining the key performance goals met with Ethos...". From what I've read I believe the Delos actually slightly exceeds the Ethos performance in terms of planetary and deep sky performance.

Dropping the price by 15% for 3 months then tempts folks to get at least one into their eyepiece sets and, as we all know, when you get one Tele Vue, others will follow :grin:

Brilliant !

It seems that Tele Vue have actually surpassed their own design goals with the Delos. Their design concept says "...a long eye-relief eyepiece design in the 70° AFOV range, retaining the key performance goals met with Ethos...". From what I've read I believe the Delos actually slightly exceeds the Ethos performance in terms of planetary and deep sky performance.

Dropping the price by 15% for 3 months then tempts folks to get at least one into their eyepiece sets and, as we all know, when you get one Tele Vue, others will follow :grin:

Brilliant !

I agree it's brilliant John, and the only reason I'm not getting one is due to my scope. This ED80 is on the list though, 3rd in line behind a Skytee-II (to mount it) and Bicycle (to get to dark skies etc.).

I'm very sure the ED80 focuser can accommodate the weight of any eyepiece, but worried I'll no longer have an excuse not to get a Delos / Ethos / Nagler :rolleyes:.

http://stargazerslou...he-delos-range/

i read on the above thread (by callump) that David Nagler said it was because 17.3 is the longest they can go to in a 1.25" eyepiece.

The longest they could achieve within the specific design parameters of the Delos range. They quote a field stop of 21.2mm, which leaves some ways to go. Of course, the 24mm Panoptic holds the fort at maximum field stop for a 1.25" EP :rolleyes: why try to beat that?

Btw, the cynic in me questions the reason for the sale...if they were already selling like hot cakes before, why reduce the price? I've not seen one remotely negative review, the only hint is about eye placement, and that's not enough to scare off die hard ocularholics :grin: or maybe their original sticker price was just too high when the XW already exists (in fewer FL) at less £/$... :confused:

Btw, the cynic in me questions the reason for the sale...if they were already selling like hot cakes before, why reduce the price? I've not seen one remotely negative review, the only hint is about eye placement, and that's not enough to scare off die hard ocularholics :grin: or maybe their original sticker price was just too high when the XW already exists (in fewer FL) at less £/$... :confused:

That's my feeling. They were just too pricey compared to the XW. Performance and build quality there is nothing between these two eyepiece ranges. It is good to see that the Delos has more FL's available.

Have to agree with the above, £250 would be a much fairer permanent price considering the price of the XW's. I actually think the XW has slightly better build quality, and don't forget, they are also JIS class 4 weather proofed!

That's my feeling. They were just too pricey compared to the XW. Performance and build quality there is nothing between these two eyepiece ranges. It is good to see that the Delos has more FL's available.

That appears to be true in britain I think flo have have had a lot to do with that. A couple of years ago pentax were closer to the 300 mark. Flo started selling them around 250 now most british retailers sell for that. In europe however it seems that the pentax and delos pricing is a lot more similar with I believe the xw costing a little more. So this sale is a good deal for european custumers and a very good chance for televue to kick pentax while its down. Pentax has been slowly retreating from the astro market for years. This world wide sale is going to eat into pentax's profits and maybe encourage pentax to give up on another line.

Archived