Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Extension to the Delos range?

alan potts

We all know, or at least most of us know that Ex Sc are going to bring out a longer focal length version of their 100 degree range. It has also been said that TeleVue will not go down this path ( most likely due to the cost of it ) but it may also weight a great deal limiting it's use.

Any one thinking like me, there could be an extension to the Delos range at a later date?

Alan.

I am not sure there is a market for large 70degs. After all, Pentax just dropped the 30 and 40 XW from their range.

However, I wouldn't mind having more choices in the 20-30mm 70 deg 20mm eye relief market. Currently the only choices are the 20mm XW, 22mm LVW and Hyperion. The 19 and 24 Panoptic have relatively little eye relief, and I wouldn't mind they get replace by something with longer ER.

Tele Vue have said that they won't go longer than 21mm in the Ethos range because there would be some performance compromises that they are not prepared to accept.

I suppose the Delos range might be ultimately extended to cover the longer FL's that the Panoptics do, eg: 24mm, 35mm and 41mm. A 41mm Delos would be pretty impressive in the right scope :grin:

I was never intending anything to be replaced, I think they may bring out a 21mm 25mm and a 32mm. I hopee they keep the Panoptics and all the Naglers. We have already seen a double up at 6mm 8mm & 10mm with Ethos and Delos, you could say the same for 17mm to. I know the 8mm Delos is not out yet

There is also an double up at 12mm with the Nagler. I can see a 21mm on the cards for sure.

Alan.

I can easily imagine longer focal length Delos to replace the Panoptics in time. Same field, higher contrast and a bit more eyerelief. Sure, why not? They would then have four sets of EPs covering the range of focal lengths at more or less the same optical quality but with different price points for the different FOV.

50° Plossl at £100, 70° Delos @ £300, 82° Nagler @ £400, and 100° Ethos at £500

I thought they may have kept the radians at the lower end, they are a step up from Plossl and not up with the Panoptic and Delos. When you think about it 295 pounds is a lot of money. So then they would have 50, 60, 68, 70 82 degrees and the Ethos range. Something is going to give I am sure.

Have they finished the with Radians, I am still thinking of getting a 3mm, I had better hurry up.

Alan.

the Delos 17.3mm is the longest focal length they can fit in a 1.25" barrel (David Nagler told me).

Didn't seem to me that they wanted to put Delos' into a 2" barrel, so not sure there will be longer focal lengths.

No doubt will be proved wrong next NEAF.

Callum

the Delos 17.3mm is the longest focal length they can fit in a 1.25" barrel (David Nagler told me).

Didn't seem to me that they wanted to put Delos' into a 2" barrel, so not sure there will be longer focal lengths.

No doubt will be proved wrong next NEAF.

Callum

The 1.25" barrel can certainly support field stop of a 70 deg eyepieces longer than 17.3mm (e.g. 20XW). It is possible the Delos design don't allow them to scale pass 17.3, but that's a different problem.

The 1.25" barrel can certainly support field stop of a 70 deg eyepieces longer than 17.3mm (e.g. 20XW). It is possible the Delos design don't allow them to scale pass 17.3, but that's a different problem.

That's probably it. I for one feel TeleVue have an excellent range of eyepieces, and plenty for glasses wearers, a few more LER eyepieces would be nice, but certainly not essential :angel:.

Archived