NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AAAAARGH! what have I been missing......

Tim

So I have always been into imaging, rather than observing. Planetary views, even of Saturn, have always been so-so, never quite been able to make out much detail.

And I only have the eyepieces that came with the scopes I have, which add up to;

1 x 32mm Axiom

1 x Hyperion Zoom (bought for doing planetary videos with)

1x set of el cheapo plossls

2x and 3x Tal Barlows.

Well I have jigged my observatory around today, raised the pier, and needed to realign the mount, so for quickness I did it with an eyepiece.

At the IAS on friday I bought my first decent barlow, a 2x 2" powermate.

As Saturn was in a good place, I just aimed at that;

The combination of Skywatcher Esprit 150, 2 x powermate, and Hyperion set to 8mm has just absolutely blown me away, I could have laid an egg with excitement! I have never seen so much detail before, never seen the cassini division go all the way round, it was like looking at a photograph by Damian Peach!

I guess it is just the quality of the glass and finally a decent barlow that make such a difference? I wonder how it would be with a really good eyepiece!

I genuinely had no idea that visual astronomy could be so rewarding. That won't be the last time the cameras come off and the eyepieces go in!!

Cheers

Tim

Welcome home, Tim. :D

Sometimes imaging can be so frustrating, observing can be a real pleasure. It is possible to do both - and it's good for your mental health!

We can, too often, live our lives looking through a lens (camera, not eyepiece) and not really see the bigger picture.

MK1 eyeballs are underrated....

Fewer and fewer gaps in the clouds last year had me out buying some eyepieces last year, Hyperion 27, 17, 8 and 5mm versions, my first decent set and the only ones I have, not supplied with a telescope! At least with observing, a small gap in the clouds is an opportunity that you can take full advantage of whereas its still a no-go for imaging! That Esprit must make for some stunning views, Tim, I only use a Megrez 72 for my observing but it's still great fun.

My first "that's like a photo!" view of a planet was Jupiter at Kelling at about 3am in the morning in a 12 inch dob. It was like looking at a clear photo, and far better than any of my attempts with a web camera! I was so excited, never thought I would get a view like that through the eyepiece!

The difference between a PowerMate or other tele-centric lens (like the TeleXtenders I have) and a regular Barlow is quite staggering in my experience. Moving from the Esprit's native focal ratio of F/7 to F/14 makes a big difference for the Hyperion as well. Slow scopes make life easy for EPs. Saturn on a night of really good seeing (which you clearly had), seen through really good optics (ditto), is something you never forget.

This is interesting, because the reason I bought a telescope is because I wanted to see the 'real thing', and not flat pictures on screens, in books, et al.

After a year and a bit of purely visual, I'm now thinking of making my own pictures so it goes both ways I suppose :)

I don't think anything will beat the sense of depth, and the overall profundity of looking through the EP though.

The difference a good EP makes is large too. I would suggest the OP gets some really nice ones, or at least has a look though some at star parties.

Comparing my bog standard EPs to my TeleVue pieces is a joke frankly!

I was surprised the first time I met an imager that he, had no ep's, I was totally shocked to be honest. The second time I met an imager I was just as surprised and started to wonder if all imagers were a plank or two short of a full load. I mean, having all that brilliant kit and not actually looking to see what it looks like yourself was just :eek: to me. This was where i realised that whilst the hobby is based around the same thing they are in fact to quite different pursuits. The two fellas I met are top imagers and I guess the reason why is because this is their main focus.

Brilliant ,was toying with idea of imaging. Then had a look at my charts and lists and the weather. There's so much to see , for which we need

clear skies,

Nick.

Too much to do with too few clear skies.

Archived