Back to the Future...

George Balazs Szoke

Hi Everyone,

I am George (52), I am Hungarian. A newbie here, on SGL. Actually I live in Sheffield for a year. I came to the UK four years ago with my wife. We used to live in Kent for more than two years. After the Sheffield Hallam Uni offered a place for her as a full time student last year. we moved to Sheffield.

I felt in love with astronomy almost 40 years ago in 1975!

The first and already one of the most dominant experience was the opportunity to see the stars under the dome of the newly opened first Hungarian Planetarium in my town in Pécs.

Than a year later there was another huge shock: Comet West in 1976... What an unforgettable, dominant treat for a 15 years old boy! Simply changed my life forever....

(Anyway, 1975 was an exceptional year: my other half was born this year under the comet!)))

Now, almost 40 years later, after about fifteen "star-less" years another huge event is going to happen: I am back to my astronomy! What a brilliant adventure!

Thanks to my love, A.G., to my ancient friend A.M. I have the opportunity to re-activate my knowledge, my love and passion, also last but not least to buy a brand new telescope (EXPLORER-200PDS f/5 EQ5 Pro GoTo SynScan Newtonian).

It's just unbelievable, cannot wait to start my beloved astronomical life, to make astrophotos and to observe variable stars, deep-sky objects, etc. again - as I almost always did.

I've opened a completely different Facebook page a few days ago (name: George B. Szoke) to re-build and well...also build friendships, get in touch with old and new friends. All this under the aegis of Astronomy.

It would be an honour to have all your support and help. As it has been given to me and to all of us in our very special amateur astronomical community for long years in Hungary. Why would it be different here in the UK?

I do apologise about my English... If it's sometimes a bit jerky... sorry about it. In few years time hopefully will be better.

But never mind, as once one of the living history of the Hungarian amateur astronomical society, S. Keszthelyi said:

"what is this tiny little delay compared to the age of the Universe?"

I had so many good friends, brilliant people all around Hungary, and now I am looking for congenial friend here at the UK. This is little bit strange for me, I never posted any topic before. After I got my telescope yesterday I spent all day knowing it. I also read a lot on the Internet and I found SGL - by accident... it makes me very happy! So I am here now, looking for new friends, new infos and opportunities to use my telescope.

I am also a little bit confused about how to choose a good and dark enough place at the surroundings of Sheffield. My back garden is well, even very-very well lit! Some neighbours has huge lights with sensors on their wall.... Terrible! All the cats of this region are coming to visit my neighbours through the night, walking in the front of every single sensors... so this is just like a flash festive... Ridiculous! :)))

So I have to find a nice place to use my scope. Do you have any idea?

That's all for now, thanks for reading!

George

Welcome to SGL, you've a great bit of kit with the 200PDS & I hope you enjoy your journey back into astronomy.

Steve

PS your English is a lot better than my Hungarian so I wouldn't worry about that. :grin:

Hello George.Welcome to SGL and your quite welcome to join one of the wakefield group meets at our usual spot between Sheffield and Manchester which is not too far away.Damian

Hello George.Welcome to SGL and your quite welcome to join one of the wakefield group meets at our usual spot between Sheffield and Manchester which is not too far away.Damian

Hi Damian,

It would be fantastic! I'll be more than happy to join!! Can you give me your mail address please?

Cheers, George

George,

Your more than welcome just pick up on the wakefield area thread in the social groups forum for when meetings are as they're arranged at short notice due to our glorious weather.

We're a friendly and chatty bunch and all amateur's, some with more knowledge than others but all with a Passion for The skies.

A few with the same scope too so you can pick a few tips up too.

Archived