Dark skies in Bolton? Chance would be a fine thing!

Boltonian

Hello everyone. Seems like I can't use paragraphs here, but never mind. Must be IE. I have a similar problem on other forums. I've been interested in astronomy for many years but only in an armchair capacity. Now is the time to 'get out there'. I have my eye on a 10" Dobsonian. Hope everyone is well :)

Welcome Boltonian. A 10" Dob sounds like a good way to start. There will be plenty on here with similar scopes, so any help you need will be freely available. Just ask. We'll be interested to hear how you get on.

Good kuck and clear skies :smiley:

Jason

Hi, Boltonian, and welcome to SGL! A 10" Dobsonian is a very capable scope especially for deep sky observing (although many things will remain as 'faint fuzzies'). Because of their lack of tracking ability Dobs are not good for photography - although it is possible to take some planetery images. As with any reflector a dark site will bring out the best in the scope - but don't despair - even in Bolton dark skies aren't all that far away! (Try some of the darker reservoirs off the A666 towards Blackburn or the Astronomy Centre at Todmorden) I'm further East towards Colne and have moors aplenty around me.

Martin

Hi Boltonian and welcome to the forum. A 10" scope is the 'goldilocks' in terms of size and portability - not too big to transport but enough aperture to keep you interested. Having said that, I regularly go observing with older guys who regularly transport 12" dobs out to our dark site and don't seem to have a problem getting them up and running from the back of their cars. As an 'armchair' astronomer or in fact for anyone starting out on the observing side of things, I would always recommend that before buying any kit that you go along to a couple of public observation sessions that are typically organised by your local astro club to get your eye in on a whole range of scopes and sizes that people bring along. It will certainly help you work out what size and type of scope will best meet your expectations and also to help you make sense of what all those technical specifications actually mean at the eyepiece. It will also help you get some idea of size as some of this kit can which can be pretty large. When looking through some of this gear, it might be a good idea to make a note of the eyepiece that is being used too as this can make quite a difference to view that you can see along with providing you with some useful research when you come to upgrade the eyepieces that originally came with the scope.

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum

James

Hi welcome

If you click on the little white thingy,top left, that says "toggle editing mode " you'll be able to use return key.

Think it's an IE thing as it works OK in Chrome.

Dave

Hi welcome

If you click on the little white thingy,top left, that says "toggle editing mode " you'll be able to use return key.

Think it's an IE thing as it works OK in Chrome.

Dave

Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone :) Davey, I can't actually see anything that says 'toggle editing mode'. Must be yet another IE thang :(

Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone :) Davey, I can't actually see anything that says 'toggle editing mode'. Must be yet another IE thang :(

When you click on "reply to topic" a line of icons appear at the top, click on the top left one , if you hover over it it says "toggle editing mode"

Easier just to download Chrome

Dave

Archived