NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC 1396 - The Elephant's Trunk - Esprit 150 & 460ex

Tim

Skywatcher Esprit Pro 150 teamed up with Atik 460ex and Baader narrowband filters.

I don't have a massive amount of data for this, especially in S2 and Oiii, but wanted to move on to another target as I have just acquired a colour 460ex.

The Esprit delivers really crisp images, really sharp edges to the bright parts of these emission nebulae, and this is something I have been looking for for some time. As a die hard reflector fan I have to grudgingly admit that I actually prefer imaging with this refractor at this focal length. I'm really looking forward to using the 150 with the 460ex OSC, I think they will be nicely suited.

I'll upload the full size to astrobin later, but here's a 30pc preview for now, just a little murderated by the forum compression ;)

Thanks for looking

Tim

post-1391-0-02902300-1368394409_thumb.jp

Details on Astrobin, but basically it is 17 hours of Ha (subs ranging from 1800 seconds to 8200 seconds, but mostly 3600secs), 8 hours of Oiii in 1800 secs, and just four hours of Sii in 1800 sec chunks.

Due to the unrewarding results from the S2 filters, these days I merge the Ha data with the S2 by about 30%, as the bright parts of the Sii match the Ha to some extent the results are reasonably accurate and save having to use half your life gathering Sii data ;)

Cheers

365bf427-10f8-48e2-8b2c-9f6d0a4f105f_thumb.png

Details on Astrobin, but basically it is 17 hours of Ha (subs ranging from 1800 seconds to 8200 seconds, but mostly 3600secs), 8 hours of Oiii in 1800 secs, and just four hours of Sii in 1800 sec chunks.

Due to the unrewarding results from the S2 filters, these days I merge the Ha data with the S2 by about 30%, as the bright parts of the Sii match the Ha to some extent the results are reasonably accurate and save having to use half your life gathering Sii data ;)

Cheers

365bf427-10f8-48e2-8b2c-9f6d0a4f105f_thumb.png

Thanks :-) the good thing is, I have been asleep while this image has been gathered, I've been doing it between 1.30 and 4.30 am and controlling the obsy from a tablet in my bed :D

That is one great Picture Tim. I'm a real fan of mirror telescopes due to the price/light gathering ability, but the crispiness with that apo is definitely worth a few extra hours of imaging time./Lars

Thanks :-) the good thing is, I have been asleep while this image has been gathered, I've been doing it between 1.30 and 4.30 am and controlling the obsy from a tablet in my bed :D

I don't think I'll try that :eek: I might not be very popular!

Beautiful image Tim. I love the faint wispy dusty stuff, great data and processing.

Archived