newbie in blackpool

marc69

hi my name is marc. i got interested in astronomy 20 years ago but couldnt afford a telescope back then and i have just got round to buying my first telescope (on tues) i paid £120 for a skywatcher skymax 102 EQ2. i have already got a barlow lens and a super 25 wide angle eye relief lens to go with the super 10 it came with. i understand this telescope is more suited to planets but i was suprised by what i saw looking at the nebula m42 in orion ! i have had a look at jupiter :grin: and i am looking forward to seeing saturn a bit later this month (there wont be any clouds) :rolleyes2: . ive downloaded stellarium and i believe i need to buy a book "turn left at orion" ??? where do you guys buy from ?? any info on what i can look at with my telescope and what filters may be useful would be appreciated.

marc.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Marc and welcome to SGL :)

The scope you have will do very nicely for planets and lunar viewing and also some brighter deep sky objects, such as M42. As for filters and so on, the only one I would really recommend right now personally would be a Light Pollution filter to assist you as I imagine that Blackpool is pretty bright, even away from the front. I wouldn't get too caught up just yet on accessories - just get out and enjoy the scope and go from there when you're used to it. As for the book, you could get it from most astro retailers I should think (along with fleabay).

HTH :)

Hi Marc, from a coastal neighbour. I'm at the posh end of the tram track :D

I used to love buying books and looking through book shops. I don't know about the book you mention but I used to get all my books from the big shops like waterstones. The branch in Blackpool used to have a decent selection of astronomy books but I've not been in for ages.

I remember Sweetens that used to be on Topping st. I was like what a "normal" kid would have been like in a sweet shop. Now that was a proper book :)

And the lord said "let there be Tapatalk"

Archived