Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Deep Space Object Struggle

If you can find the Orion nebula, which I feel must be the easiest by far to find, that will give you an idea of the sort of 'smudge' you are going to see. So at least you will know when you are looking at one.

A bright smudge! That will probably be the brightest DSO you'll ever see. That is until Betelgeuse goes bang... :rolleyes:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, in response to the OP, I find star charts quite good to use. Look at the star chart, look up and see what stars you can see. Find them on the chart and then hop down to what you want. When you are quite sure that you are in the right area, just stop and look for a couple of minutes, before long you'll make out what you want :) GLHF!

I share your pain, I'm only starting out and would love to see things like M81 / M82 which others seem to say are very good at the moment but owing to my ignorance of the stars and the fact I have only a 130p meant I've failed 2 nights in a row now! I have seen the 'smudges' though... so perhaps I have... hmm more looking up-scope needed me thinks.

Although I don't have the same 130P I have a similar scope the SW 130M. As you can see by my signature, I have already located many DSOs. It just takes practice and patience.

As for the original question, DSOs as through a scope (with your eyes) do not look like this:

m51_2009-small.jpg

They look more like this:

med_gallery_25190_2450_1743226.jpg

The above is what you should look out for, faint smudges that can very easily be missed completely. I recommend getting into sketching, undoubtably cheaper than AP and I think just as rewarding. This allows you to record your observations and learn what to look for during future sessions.

I would recommend, a pencil and piece of paper. :)

... and a blending stump.

I am as far away from an artist as you could probably get, and epic sketches of the orion nebula are beyond my abilities. However, I can rustle up an image of a galaxy.

As for a guide there are many available on the net. A quick search produced this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDC3R39AcSA.

Good luck and don't forget to post your attempts. :p

This is exactly how i felt when i first started out about 18months ago. The main problem for me was, i knew that they would be hard to see, but i didnt realise they would be THAT hard to see lol. Objects like M1, M51 etc, are so dim there practcically invisible lol.

But now i can find them fairly easily, it just takes practise, and getting to know your kit. A telrad is a great peice of kit to use if you havent seen one already, worth researching and making your opinion on them.

If you fancy modding your scope with a Wixey for a few extra pounds and a few screws you could add a setting circle then with stellarium or your smart phone you have manual goto (push to) - gets you in the right area everytime- quick, cheap and quite useful when first starting out

cheers and good luck

Star hopping with your Dob is what you will be using to navigate the night sky, in addition to the books mentioned, another recommended and very practical guide is : "Star-Hopping by Robert Garfinkle". Good copies can be picked up s/h as I did, at a very reasonable price, that won`t damage the pocket. But the best results for observing DSO is to transport your gear to a very dark site if you can, because although LP may not affect your property at all badly, there may be a city just a few miles away which could have some detrimental affect on your observations for the faint fuzzies, enjoy your Astronomy smile.gif

John.

+1 for the book, and the dark skies.

I got my copy second hand too :) one of my best astro book buys. Visual astronomy is all about contrast. You'll only get this from dark skies. There is truly NO substitute for them.

I've always wanted to get into sketching, but I have no idea where to start!

Sorry, a bit late in responding to this, but anyone interested in sketching DSO should acquire a copy of the 173pp paperback " Observing the Deep Sky " by Darren Bushnall, will cost you the princely sum of 10P + postage, from our large online book seller. Covers the subject of sketching in some detail, for all those who have never attempted the art, but would like have a try at it :)

John.

Whe Im viewing DSO's through my 130P, I find it helps alot to have read up on what your looking at either before or while its in the EP (I have a tracking mount, so leaving it pointed the right way for 5-10mins while I have a read is no worry at all) as then you can truly appreciate what you are seeing. I didn't realise that something I was looking at a couple of nights back contained a black hole, which once Id realised made me jump straight back to the EP. Even though I know full well you can't see a black hole, just knowing it was there was enough for me.

Once you start finding them, DSOs become easier and easier to see. With an 8" Newt and moderately dark skies, there's a lot you can see. Go for the really bright stuff at first: Orion Nebula at this time of year. Later in the night, M13 will rise. That's easy to find and impressive. The ring nebula is also returning now. For many that's an easy first DSO because it's bright and easy to locate. It's small, though! M81 and M82 are two bright galaxies that are high in the sky right now, but they are a little tough to find because there aren't any bright stars too nearby.

The books you bought are very good. I didn't catch if you have a Telrad. If not, buy one. It will make everything far, far, easier for you.

i remember my first galaxy's. i didnt know it would be grey smudges. a little dissapointed. lol.

but i swear by stellarium. its a fantastic free program. just keep trying. also i find that a red dot finder is a great way to spend £25 and try to get a 32mm eyepiece.

dave

Hi do what i did with my 300p stay on one constelation a night ,try in to see every thing in one nigjt ,lp does not help but some nebula are not telescope objectsmand are reserved for imaging keep at it Next time you out stick with ursa major it as pleanty to look at a few galaxies ,and a neb

keep at it

If you have an ipad I can strongly recommend luminos. The ipad (in a freezer bag on a damp night, or a map bag over your shoulder) is a very convenient lightweight way of navigating the sky. Buy a Wiley digital angle gauge which has a magnetic base so will stick on your tube for altitude measurement. All that leaves you is locating Az. This can be achieved in a number of ways, I had a setting circle printed in PVC for £20 and it works great. Once you get things lined up, you can locate things just as quickly as someone with a goto, give or take. The deeper the object, worse the skies, the harder it gets, but the satisfaction increases

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the tips and advice! Very helpful and eye opening indeed. I'm pleased to report I have taken lots on board and made a couple of changes and opened my mine and I am well on my way now! I've now began filling up my logbook which includes M5, Double Cluster, M39 and most recently (Last night and tonight) the ring nebula amognst others!

Extremely pleased especially with the ring neb. So thank you to everyone who has nudged me in the right direction so far! :grin:

Do try M13 in Hercules. Its not too hard to find, bright and has a nice setting.

Also look for the deep red carbon stars. There is one next to Vega in Lyra. Its the same distance from Vega as the double double..go from the double double to Vega and then go down the same distance again. A fairly faint star but oh so red!

Mark

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

Archived