Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I'm the New guy

pompeymonkey

Hello All, well just joined the other night, having just got back from New Zealand, you cant help but look at the amazing stars up there, I fancied trying to take some shots with my camera now i am back, I have a canon EOS. What is the best lens / telescope to look through to get some shots, to get the novice, not wanting to the blow the bank?

Kevin

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Kevin and welcome to the forum. The best way to answer any question on imaging the night sky, is to recommend that you get hold of a copy of Steve Richards' book, "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95). It is modestly priced and will provide you with a comprehensive guide on what kit to get and why you need it to take good consistent images that will hopefully meet your expectations. Imaging solar system objects (moon and planets) can be done via a simple webcam, whereas imaging Deep Sky Objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebulae require as a minimum a very accurate mount in order to be able to track these faint distant objects for long enough to collect sufficient data to construct an image. There is a third type of imaging known as 'widefield' which attempts to take a wide image of the night sky whilst at the same time including some terrestrial detail as well to provide a context for the view. Each type of imaging technique places different demands on the type and quality of kit that you can use and with it the necessary budget. A quick glance at the equipment signatures of members in the imaging sections will give you some consensus of what kit people are using and which has proven to work. The above book will explain it you in more detail than I can here and in fact the book might well save you money by helping you to avoid buying the wrong kit. There isn't a set up that can fulfill the needs of both imaging as well as those of observing as they are quite different disciplines that naturally place different demands on the kit being used. Hope that helps.

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

Well what a nice lot of Hello's - this can only bring happiness to the newbie's. I have added my little image that most people have, of the the milky way that I photographed, whilst out in NZ, We had one amazing night, down in Wanaka on the south island, is anyone on here a good source of info for taking pictures of the night sky, i wanted to catch one of the stars on a long exposure

Archived