New member from Kent

kelack

Hi all

I was recommended by Sara (Swag72) to come over here and join in, apparently you're quite a friendly bunch who can help me with getting started in Astrophotography.

I have always been fascinated with stargazing. I used to have this cardboard dial thing that had several different discs and you had to move each one around to align to the time, season etc and then you could work out the constellations. I think I got it from the Science Museum or something. Google Sky Maps for the 80s!!

Other than this, I'm into my sports photography, mainly football and rugby but there's not been a lot of that lately!

Kelly

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, thanks for the very warm welcome everyone.

I have had a brief browse around the forums and think I may have to sell a kidney!

I currently shoot with a Canon 1DMkiii and have a 28-200 f3.5-f5.6 lens, 70-200 f2.8 and a 28-70 f3.5-f5.6. I have got a temperamental 40D but it's hit and miss when it wants to work! From what I understand from Sara's very patient messages to me, I need to walk before I can run and I've had a read of JGS001's Widefield post which I will give a go if the skies are clear this weekend. The trouble is, I have very little budget at the moment, and my priority is a 300mm lens which I need for Championship football. I know that's a very typical thing to hear, coming from a photography forum. I have no budget but I want to shoot Pluto :D No? Lol

Martin - where in Kent are you? If you are close by, then I may bug you to come and show me how it's done :laugh:

Alan - that sounds familiar. I think I still have it at my parents, I may have to go in their loft. I am pretty much addicted to my Google Sky Maps on my phone but bore everyone silly at the rugby club with pointing out all different things

Oh and I should have mentioned I have ordered the Making Every Photo Count book :D

Also, I may have been a little facetious when saying the I want to shoot Pluto, it was a little crack at photography topics I've read such as I've just bought a camera and I want to shoot a wedding, or I want to go and shoot Man Utd. I tried to guess at what would be the near impossible for me as a beginner lol

Hi Kelly and welcome to SGL, If you are on a very tight budget and just want to use your camera for AP then perhaps you should Google Dave Trott`s Barn Door project, a very simple cheap device that can give you reasonable sidereal tracking times to avoid star trailing, there is quite a lot of information and variations of the unit, from the very basic to quite advanced models. Perhaps some of your Rugby club members could even assist in the construction of a basic device. Purchasing a copy of Steve`s book though, was a good step in the right direction and I am sure you will derive a lot of useful information from it :)

John.

Good to see you over here Kelly. The book purchase is a great first step into what could develop into an obsession! I hope that the bug doesn't bite too much, my Canons have been out less than half a dozen times in about a year now, I love AP!!!

Thanks again all. Glowjet, my husband is a builder by trade so I may ask him to help.

Hi Sara! Lol

As I am constantly shooting sports, I wanted to look at doing something a bit different. Trust me to pick the expensive one :D

Archived