Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Not a new topic. Just letting you know you have a new member

nubsey

:D Hi there, this is just to let you all know that you have yet another member.

Today was not a good day at work, in fact it was terrible. But at about 12:30 I got a phone call from a man, saying he was trying to deliver a parcel, and as no one was in, could he deliver it somewhere else.

I told him to deliver it next door. Yippe my new telescope had arrived. I had ordered a Celestron C8-N from Sherwoods, and you would never get such service for £10 from the post office. When I got home there were two large boxes, not the one I thought I had. Had a very quick look through and all looks well. My what a biggen it is. I used to own a small refractor, and also a 4" tal1. This by there standards is huge. Anyway had to go down the radio club. (I am also a radio ham) and Justin had told me he had at last seen Holmes comet. We went outside and there it was. We have had cloudy night for ages here.

Will start to assemble the new beast tomorrow. This proves that every cloud has a silver lining. Just remember I do not need them, so let some other person have the clouds. Now the big question is. Has anyone converted there scope to GOTO for a few pence.

All the best to all Nigel

Hi Nigel and welcome to SGL...

The cheapest goto i have heard of is

"asking your mate to point the scope to the next object" :D :D

Sorry mate but that goto and cheap in the same sentence got me there for a second...

:D Thanks for all your general felicitations.

Jamie I never said cheap I asked if it had been converted. I am willing to spend upto £1 .25p or even £1.50p at a push, so you can see I am fully prepared to spend big bucks.. But I love the idea of a GILLY to assist with stargazing. Gilly M34 please. Gilly dumbbell nebula now. Perhaps there is a living to be made out of this. Have you thought about offering your services for say £100 an hour.

I am having trouble assembling it. The dove tail for mounting the tube looks like it needs a couple of bolts, which are not included, but Justin a friend of mine is over tomorrow so we should be able to sort it out, as he has a lot more experiance than I have of such things. Also a spare pair of hands seems like a good idea when first bolting things together.

But I was just wondering if goto was simply a bolt on system, or required a special mount head. Still I am good at finding my way around. I have even go home from the pub on auto pilot and I did not even remember leaving the pub the night before.

Catch you all later Nigel

A warm welcome to SGL Nigel. Great scope you've bought, but if you want "GOTO" then as "Whiplash" advises - return your scope's mount only, and ask for the upgraded one (They should change it OK as the "GOTO" version will probably cost about another £300 more!

Best wishes,

philsail1

You dont need the bolts, Sherwoods say use the aluminium dovetail between the scope rings to mount the scope as the small cast iron plate is for mounting another scope.

If you really wanted Goto you should of got a goto scope.

As a first scope and the money i paid for it, i am happy with what i got, but if you have £300 to spend on goto then go for it.

All the best

Davey

Hi Nigel

Welcome to SGL and enjoy it here.

I got the same scope from Sherwoods as well. I think it has been very very good scope for that price. The mount is sturdy but I have just upgraded to HEQ5 as my main hobby is immaging. I suppose you will need at least RA motor for that scope to make it easier.

Martin :(

Archived