Father & Son

Sdichter

I've always had a passing interest in astronomy, but growing up and living in an area that is heavily light polluted, I never followed thru. All these years later and my son has shown an interest in it so I'm looking to get started.

We still live in the light and view compromised environs of the NYC metropolitan area, and we're essentially starting from scratch (I can find the moon and Polaris most nights and that's about it). My suspicion, is that starting with equipment he can master on his own, and looking at things that are easy to find, will sustain his interest and propel us forward.

My plan is to invest in some good binoculars, some good portable viewing chairs, and some notebooks to record our observations. I'd appreciate any links or advice on a good way to start.

PS. I intend to learn and teach my son the math involved as well.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Sdichter, and welcome to SGL! Binoculars are a very good way to both get to know the sky, and as an introduction to amateur astronomy. There is a specific Binocular tab on the main page of this site where you will find help and suggestions as to what is available (and more importantly what to avoid!). As a general aid to finding your way around the sky I can recommend the free planetarium "Stellarium" downloadable from here: http://stellarium.org/ This can be adapted to your own location and circumstances (light pollution level etc).

Martin

Hi and welcome to the lounge, I have found this site useful http://astronomycentral.co.uk/the-night-sky-with-binoculars-tonight/

if you are thinking of bins 10x50 are good, anything bigger you will need a binocular mount and a tripod, as the weight will be

to much to hold steady, you can ask any question here someone will help.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's.

Hello and a warm welcome to you and your son and hopr that you can get as much enjoyment as possible from you light polluted site. Actually, you may find that with a good set of binoculars you will be able to see more of the sky than is apparent at the moment. Anyway, enjoy you new nobby and good like with the math, most of it is pretty straight forward :smiley:

Hi and welcome to the forum. I would certainly recommend this site because it details some useful information on binoculars and how to mount them, along with suggested monthly targets for you to find. In addition I would also recommend the book, "Turn Left at Orion" which details some hundred objects to find throughout the four seasons of the year. It a great book that is useful for people with binoculars and modest sized scopes so should be ideal for both you and your son. You might want to take a look at this link to see how this book is laid and what to expect from its maps and written instructions.

Clear skies and hope you and your son enjoy the forum.

James

Archived