SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Greetings from Maine

skyguyjim

Hello fellow Loungers,

I am Jim and am 58 ;and have been an observer of the night and day skies for over 50 years now.It basically started with a total solar eclipse in the Bar Habor,Maine area during 1962.Where I was living inland at the time the event wasn't total but remember the sky getting dusky around 5pm that summer.Another eclipse will be visible in 2024 in Northern Maine;close to the Canadian border area.

I am wondering if anyone in Maine has yet to see Comet PanSTARRS yet;as between the weather and the mountains here i have had no luck yet in observing it.Any help in finding it in the night sky would be appreciated as nothing is posted about observing it here for now or the future from the state of Maine.

this looks like a great forum site and am looking forward to gaining many friends here my age and younger that enjoy both the night and day sky.Thanks again and wishing all clear skys.

All The Best; Jim from Southern Maine/Skyguyjim

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jim from down south a bit. Here is some info on the comet, which should be seen from your latitude for the next several days. I have'nt seen it yet myself but, like you, after 55 years of star gazing, I've seen several including Halley so these days seeing comets in the sky is kinds ho-hum :rolleyes:

Anyways, welcome to the SGL - lots of helpful people on here.

COMET

Hi Jim and welcome to the forum. You mention making friends from all generations and that is one of astronomy's great strengths.

I'm sure you will make plenty of new friends here for sure and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Clear skies

James

Hi Jim, and welcome to the forum !

Rough weather you have there in Maine. My Wife spoke to our friends in Houlton last night, said they just had 20 inches of snow fall.

Things are not looking much better for us here in the UK either. Hope you get a chance to glimpse the Comet.

Archived