Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from the southern side of the planet

Cefiar

Hi there!

I'm in Melbourne, Australia and just getting back into astronomy properly after a small dabble then a bit of a break.

Been interested in astronomy since I could pretty much see, but never had the time or money to properly follow my passion with a decent scope, just mainly with binocs and then the small spotting scope my Dad had for a while. Work and life intervened for a while there, but a change in fortunes meant I could get back into it. My partner is back at Uni doing a science degree (maths/astrophysics/astronomy), so in some way we've been enabling each other a bit. ;)

Recently had a play on a Meade LX200 (and a few other scopes) and got hooked all over again. Got a Meade LX850 on the way, though when I ordered it way back in Jan 2012 it was still known as an LX800.

I've been a dabbling amateur photographer for many years (doing all sorts of stuff, but always liked experiementing with low-light photography), and so I have a Caon50D with a 500mm lens. Have shot a number of moon pics with that, but it's just not quite a long enough lens, and now wish I bought the 800mm lens instead of the 500mm I did at the time. Going to get the filter replaced in the 50D (already got a Baader filter to replace it) so I can hopefully take some better shots with it, attached to the end of a scope.

My other backgrounds are computing (work and also been heavily involved with the Linux community), electronics (was work 20+ yrs ago, now a hobby) and machining (always a hobby) so will be pulling all that background into improving my astronomy experience. ;)

That's about it.

Have fun!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

A warm welcome to the SGL, you have picked a wonderful scope there, you will have so much fun with it, I only do visual but can appreciate good quality in your purchase

let us all know how you get on, I use a Meade and love it

clear skies

Doug.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Damn the posts on this place move fast! Going to have to check more often. ;)

Doug: Yeah I hope so. It should be a good scope - only time will tell (when it finally turns up). That said, if there is anything I can modify on it to improve it, I'll be looking at doing it. I'm a tinkerer. I do know that one of the first things I'll be doing is putting reverse polarity protection on the DC input! ;)

NotSoSuperNova: Horrible lately with 35+ Deg C days and some nights where it didn't get below 24 Deg C. Been fairly clear, but too hot to do anything. Fortunately it's cooled off a bit, but of course the clouds have now rolled in. Looking forward to later in Autumn as it should cool down a bit while staying clear.

Archived