Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hellooooo

LisaandIain

Hey! I'm Lisa and I'm new, I've asked two questions so far and everyone has been super helpful.

Abit about myself... im 22 from Doncaster - S.Yorks. I've been interested in space since being really young and got my first telescope for my 21st birthday last feb! After seeing Saturn (and seeing the blur with rings) I got hooked and wanted to upgrade! But as me and my partner had decided to get married this year the timing was always wrong, we had better things to spend our money on! After doing ALOT of overtime (and my partner feeling guilty for not getting me anything for my birthday muahaha) he said he'd go halves on a new telescope! So I got on the web hunting for a newnie and got the Skyliner 250px. It was delivered yesterday and I'm in my element. Work is dragging, days are too long! I just want to be outside with the new scope!!

Attached a photo from last night about 10pm. I'd got my nice hot bubble bath (to try and waste some time until it was dark) put my pjs on and set about the scope in the garden! My partner then offered to take it up to a dark quarry so we could see if it was any better there so I put my jumper on and we we're off! Pj's and all! Ha. Thank goodness for the heated seats in the car, temp went down to -1 which was a little on the cold side for me but Jupiter looked great.

I'm really looking forward to reading more posts, extending my knowledge and maybe one day helping other people out too!

post-29388-0-06261200-1362488002_thumb.j

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get a book that makes sense to you, and from that and things like the internet start working out a few things that are visible to be seen. Then go and try them.

We seem to say Jupiter, Orion and soon Saturn. And then it grinds to a halt.

I would suggest making up a list of what is visible in the various constellations.

Leo, Plough, Casseiopia, Auriga, Cygnus, Andromeda, ......

List the various DSO's and double stars.

Then when you have the time and one is in the right place go find everything/anything in the list.

Means a little work but means you have a few options at hand.

Hi Lisa welcome to the lounge, "Turn left at Orion " is a great book for finding your way round the night sky, it shows most objects you can find with a Dob.

Good luck and Clear Sky's

Hi Lisa and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on getting your new scope and I am guessing that the very is a little better than before? :grin: Observing in pyjamas is a new one on me but the thought of my other half coming out into the garden with her nightie on would be enough to polar alignment out for a very long time! :grin: :grin: :grin: You might want to download "Stellarium" if you haven't already as this will help you both find and identify objects of interest and will help you plan what you want to observe making the best use of your observing time.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Haha there's no budging me out the pjs once they're on! I was planning on going in my dressgown too but the other half didn't approve! So I had to grab my jumper!! Thanks for the warm welcome I can tell i'm going to be addicted to this forum very soon. Thanks for the well wishes on the wedding too which is completely stressing me out at the mo - but wedding plans can wait.... I have a new telescope!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: I will be downloading Stellarium when I get home, everybody seems to be talking about it and I need it :laugh: P.s. I will be telling the other half you approve of the PJS, he just shakes his head at me! Haha, the amount of times I've picked him up from the pub or walked down the street in my PJ's and he gets so embarrassed hehe :grin: :grin: :grin: Hoping for a clear night tonight! x

Hi, Lisa, and welcome to SGL! Congrats on the new scope; the 250PX is a great scope, and I am sure you will get a lot out of it. One thing you might consider getting is a chair or stool - it will make observing a lot more comfortable and enjoyable than crouching at the eyepiece. One that is often used with Dobsonians is an ironing chair or drummer's stool - both of which are height adjustable (you can then sit in a sleeping bag as well as your pj's!)

Martin

Hi Lisa and Lain welcome to SGL, great choice of telescope, Stellarium is a must, you can set it too your location so the sky outside is what you see on screen and as the objects move in real time its handy to

learn the night sky on those cloudy nights ( you`ll probably use it more than your telescope :grin: ).

enjoy your new hobby and your future hubby :evil: .

Archived