Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi From Wiltshire

StarHappy

Hi there,

Having spent my life looking at the sky, I recently dipped my toe into astronomy and bought my first scope, a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ. After a few good sessions looking at Jupiter, and finding a 'blur' in Orion's belt I upgraded the stock EP's with a Celstron Omni x2 Barlow and a Celestron 9mm X-CEL LX which has made for some good lunar observing and a bigger 'blur' in Orion's belt :grin: .

Hoping for some clear skies soon when I will take my setup to my Dad's house which is in the middle of nowhere with very dark skies. Have found some frustrations with the 130EQ's mount for observing in the southern skies..the motor control and fine control adjusters seem to get in the way when trying to swing the scope in the right direction, often causing me to just move the mount in the direction of the objects I want to view and hence losing alignment.

Hoping to upgrade the mount soon to either EQ3 SynScan GOTO or EQ5 SysScan GOTO to start down the path of imaging.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL StarHappy, please feel free to ask lots of questions. You may like to post a thread about the problems you are having with your Celestron Astromaster in the 'Getting Started - Equipment Help and Advice'. Also the Getting Started with Imaging section may prove useful if you want to get into deep sky object astrophotgraphy or planetary video imaging.

Welcome to SGL StarHappy, please feel free to ask lots of questions. You may like to post a thread about the problems you are having with your Celestron Astromaster in the 'Getting Started - Equipment Help and Advice'. Also the Getting Started with Imaging section may prove useful if you want to get into deep sky object astrophotgraphy or planetary video imaging.

Thanks, I'm a step ahead of you and have started a thread in Getting Started with Imaging section and have already had some very useful feedback :smiley:

Hi Starhappy,

Welcome to SGL from me too - you've got some great dark sky locations just a few miles to the north of Salisbury so sure you'll get some great views with the AM130 and the new Xcel EP/Barlow.

Clear skies - Jake

*Wow my 500th post!*

Archived