Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horsehead in H-alpha+RGB

Martin-Devon

Not the greatest Horsehead, but with the lack of clear skies it'll have to do....

Taken over two nights, 20th & 21st February, with plenty of moonlight around so the RGB data is compromised somewhat, hence it's rather noisy. Data consists of 15 x 10 min H-alpha and 6 x 10 min each of RGB; calibrated with darks and flats.

Thanks for looking - Martin

8497994102_a96a6559fa_z.jpg

I like the detail, but personally I'd like to see more colour. I can understand that you've been struggling with the moon - This is a good example of how the moon washes out the RGB. Without the moon, that would have been as colourful as anything I'll bet.

Hi Mark - I had taken 2.5 hours of H-alpha on the first night, and was planning for LRGB on the next night, however the weather had other plans! Anyhow I managed to get 3 hours of RGB before clouds rolled in, so no luminence. To make the image I used H-alpha as my luminence layer, which worked OK. The H-alpha layer had really nice detail, tight stars and low noise whereas as expected the RBG was noisy and of poorer quality; it was more than half-Moon last night, I didn't need a red torch most of the time due to the moonlight.....

It's a good point you make Mark - you'll see that Sara also picked up on this as well - it's really good to get feedback like this so that I can make improvements. I'll try blending the H-alpha into the Red data as you suggest and see what comes out; the Red is not particularly good data though, it's definitely a tad milky due to the moonlight, but I'll try it anyhow - thanks

I agree with Sara, bits of intruding green are lurking in the pixels, as they often do. SCNR Green. Exterminate. Exterminate!!

I should have said that I didn't dislike the original, I was just saying that you'll always get those colours using Ha as L.

Olly

Archived