New to all this! And Loving it, When there's Clear Sky's (of course)

Stargazing Glaswegian Gaza

Hi all.

Pleases Be kind to me Im a new member,

Just last year around Sep-Oct time I finally took the plunge and decided to get my first binoculars (Celesteron's 25x70's) as the last few years I have just enjoyed looking up at the sky with just my Eyes in a state of wonder. But decided that back then the time had came for me to get a closer look :icon_biggrin:

The first planet to take a gander at was of course Jupiter with its moons, and for my first time I got to see its 4 moons all in view although Very tiny but i new that be the case. I was just gob smacked and amazed how they were able to just hang there.

The first clusters would be Hyades along with pleyades in a close 2nd but longer gazing with that one. Found them curtsy of the sky at night marathon. In saying that the first star or dead star i viewed was i think a ring nebula not sure of it type though.

But needles to say after getting those first bins I have now recently got my first scope being a Celesteron 130 /f5 650. Just did not like the red dot finder on it and have purchased a orion 9x50 finder scope for it. I also got from telsope servise a 15&40 Super Plossl Eyepiece's to go with my 10mm eyepiece. I am also waiting on a 6.4 mead 4000 Super Plossl Eyepiece to sett me up to use with a 2 barro eyepiece. so now my newbie eye piece collection will have:

1, 2 barrow lens

6.4mm Meade 4000 Super Plossl

10mm Celesteron

15mm TS Super Plossl

40mm TS Super Plossl

eyepieces for starters

With regards to the Orion 9x50 finder scope will it be easy attached to my Celesteron 650 130eq scope?

Kind Regards,

Mr Gaza.

P.S looking at the asteroid through my bins Just blew me away I cant get enough of that asteroid. How long is still going to be within our sights? any ideas on that?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi There,

Warm welcome to SGL.

The Finder will attatch relatively easily., it may fit in the original holder, if not there are plenty of aftermarket bits that you will be able to use, Have a look at astroboot :-- http://www.scopesnskies.com/AstroBoot or telescope services :-- http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/cat/c5_Telescope%20accessories.html altair astro http://www.altairastro.com/home.php?cat=260 to name but a few.

Slange!

hi mate. i see your in east renfrewshire , theres a star night at muiirshiel park visitor centre[ near lochwinnoch] on march 8th[7-9pm] held by coates observatory from paisley . the park is realy dark skies and if cloudy they usually put on a video/ stelarium presentation . if you want to go you need to phone muirshiel park and book heres the web addie http://www.clydemuir...events theres a group of us from central belt who have regular but spur of the moment meet ups . near livinston also barrhead and mugdock park you can see the forum type scottishastronomers.com/forum

Hi Mr Gaza and welcome to SGL, no need to worry about the treatment of newcomers, the forum is kindness itself, you will find we are a very understanding bunch of people, so make yourself at home. If you have not done so already, download the free programme Stellarium, it will help you find your way about the night sky, a copy of the the very popular book Turn Left at Orion is also a recommended purchase, to add to your arsenal of accessories, available from most good high street book shops, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Hi Mr Gaza and welcome to SGL, no need to worry about the treatment of newcomers, the forum is kindness itself, you will find we are a very understanding bunch of people, so make yourself at home. If you have not done so already, download the free programme Stellarium, it will help you find your way about the night sky, a copy of the the very popular book Turn Left at Orion is also a recommended purchase, to add to your arsenal of accessories, available from most good high street book shops, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

That is a good tool to have as a newbie. Read about it via Stargazing With Binoculars no less. I also got to help with my new telescope the Astro Box, containing a planasphear, star map, star finder book and Stargazing with a Telescope for under £20, and a must have for newbies id say.

hi mate. i see your in east renfrewshire , theres a star night at muiirshiel park visitor centre[ near lochwinnoch] on march 8th[7-9pm] held by coates observatory from paisley . the park is realy dark skies and if cloudy they usually put on a video/ stelarium presentation . if you want to go you need to phone muirshiel park and book heres the web addie http://www.clydemuir...events theres a group of us from central belt who have regular but spur of the moment meet ups . near livinston also barrhead and mugdock park you can see the forum type scottishastronomers.com/forum

Hi Dtr4r Im located in the South Side of Glasgow And would be quite interested in a meet of that nature some time. Was wondering if there is a group of that nature within my area I was. Thanks for that info. Only snag with that is I don't have any mode of transport sadly.

Archived