Hello, complete novice would welcome any advice.

Paul Holly and Joe

Hello everybody I have been toying with the idea of stargazing for a few years and now. The final push has come from my children who have shown a real interest in the planets and star since a school project.

We are going out this weekend and get a star chart and a beginners astronomy book, recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully we will get out this weekend and have a proper look at the night sky, fingers crossed we get a clear night.

Thanks

PHJ

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome to the lounge. There's loads of brilliant information on this site. It's good to go out observing with a bit of an idea what you might see so you can spend a couple of minutes swotting up before hand to inspire (and impress) the children with some interesting facts. I hope your observing keeps the children inspired and inquisitive. You'll be wanting a scope or binoculars before you know it

:bino2:

Hi. I'd go for "the stars" by h a Rey as it shows how to find all the constellations with what you see diagrams and linked names that make sense. It also tells you which chart to look at at which time and month of the year. Further more the book is written in a simple and fun way. H a Rey also did a kids version of ths book called 'find the constellations', perhaps better for young children.

I'd then follow that up with turn left at Orion which is very good in its own right but I think the stars is a better beginners book (as I am).

Hello Paul, Holly & Joe - and welcome to the forums!

I would recommend downloading Stellarium as well. Useful, as well as being great fun to use.

Kids will be able to zoom into some interesting objects for a closer look!

Hi Paul, Holly and Joe welcome to SGL, The book TL@O is a wonderful publication and is based around those starting out with binoculars and small telescopes, if you feel at the moment this is a bit of a step too far, there are some basic little, reasonably priced, star guide publications, some by the late Sir Patrick Moore, together with a Planisphere, available from most good high street book shops, the excellent free program Stellarium and the essential clear night, you and the children will be embarking on a new world of discovery, and goodness knows where that can end, could be with rather depleted pockets like the rest of us lol, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Thanks to everybody for such a warm welcome. As I said we will be going into town tomorrow to get a book or two thank you for the recommendations.

Might not be able to see much if the skies tomorrow but my kids school have a telescope that we are able to borrow next week when the weather should be better.

Again thanks for the welcome I'll let you know what we get tomorrow and how we get on.

Archived