Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Time for a new hobby!

JKB

Ok just need to vent my anger!

After a year of more than typical rubbish UK weather tonight was good; and I mean good. Clear, no wind, cool and good seeing.

Set up kit: cooled scope, aligned, collimated, and ready to go.

Problem! Cheap nasty fleabay remote shutter release didn't work. Checked battery and connection....nothing but then the stupid Canon N3 connector fell off!!!! Hours wasted!

Sorry for whinge but so annoyed! I think it's time to take up fishing.......

Least I might catch something

Cheers Jamie

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok just need to vent my anger!

After a year of more than typical rubbish UK weather tonight was good; and I mean good. Clear, no wind, cool and good seeing.

Set up kit: cooled scope, aligned, collimated, and ready to go.

Problem! Cheap nasty fleabay remote shutter release didn't work. Checked battery and connection....nothing but then the stupid Canon N3 connector fell off!!!! Hours wasted!

Sorry for whinge but so annoyed! I think it's time to take up fishing.......

Least I might catch something

Cheers Jamie

Respectfully, it's not the fault of the bobby you elected to buy a chepo fleabay gadget mate ! The weather? Most definitely. Its been an abomination this last year and this winter, normally the prime observing season has been truly awful.

fishing is just as good as astronomy I'm a to the bone "carp" angler , stay on the banks for days on end , and a summer night by a lake when the sky is clear has me sitting out head upwards.. now i have telescopes to improve the view when i go fishing,

only problem is last time I went fishing in November I slipped and badly broke my ankle (extreme fishing eh) so who knows the next time I'll get out fishing again, i don't mind for a bit as I've got star gazing to look forward to, well not with this weather ....

But....but you haven't completed the tally in your signature.

And anyway, the sig is wrong, unless he has refused to see the Hyades and the Double Cluster (that's two Caldwells for you)

More seriously, it is frustrating when equipment misbehaves after such a torrid time (observing or imaging)

And anyway, the sig is wrong, unless he has refused to see the Hyades and the Double Cluster (that's two Caldwells for you)

More seriously, it is frustrating when equipment misbehaves after such a torrid time (observing or imaging)

Thats cheered me up! Yes I forgot the 2 Caldwells! (even though I posted a pic of the double a few days ago!)

Sig adjusted!

Oh crikey Jamie. Try scuba diving!

Kit that runs from pretty expensive through to 'full AP setup with bells and whistles' sort of money.

Wind guaranteed to start blowing on Friday afternoon after flat seas since Monday.

Then you finally get out there and descend into black murk and can't see your hand in front of your face.

And at least you don't need a few months training before you're even allowed to look through a scope.

To be fair it also has moments of jaw dropping beauty, wonder and excitement rather like astronomy (just in case anyone was considering it :smiley: )

similar night for me,arrived to clear dark skies.found out the power cable on my scope had come adrift so had to bodge it.then the batteries on my laser collimator had run out.then the clouds rolled in.i managed to stay 1h 30 mins and managed 10 seconds of viewing at 5 minute intervals so really annoyed.ive cursed every weatherman in the country.was forcast clear all night!!

Tried scuba diving when I was on holiday in sharm a few years ago, loved it, the second at 12metres which to me was very deep was amazing, crystal clear and more fish than you could shake a stick at, but issues clearing my ears on the way down and a perforated eardrum on the way back up has seriously put me off ever doing it again.

Oh crikey Jamie. Try scuba diving!

Kit that runs from pretty expensive through to 'full AP setup with bells and whistles' sort of money.

Wind guaranteed to start blowing on Friday afternoon after flat seas since Monday.

Then you finally get out there and descend into black murk and can't see your hand in front of your face.

And at least you don't need a few months training before you're even allowed to look through a scope.

To be fair it also has moments of jaw dropping beauty, wonder and excitement rather like astronomy (just in case anyone was considering it :smiley: )

I was going to post something similar Lee. How many times have you and your buddy got up early, long drive (not for you) to the coast, kitted up, buddy check then blown out due to the weather?

Jamie - Keep the faith you know it's worth it.

Fishing is my other pastime, (mostly match style pole), and can be as frustrating and rewarding as stargazing. Some days it just doesn't come together, then the next will be the best session of your life. Last night, despite perfect skies I failed to find any of my targets, everything seemed to go wrong :embarrassed: . Next time out, I'll probably complete my Messier list :rolleyes:

Stay positive, it's the only way :smiley:

And you know that as soon as you set your rods up for a nights carping that the skies will clear and you'll spend the time cursing the fact that you swapped the scopes for a bunch of tackle.

This is a hobby that demands patience and although frustrating at times I'm not sure that it's anymore frustrating than being outsmarted by a fish . . . :p

To be fair it also has moments of jaw dropping beauty

And a few uglies as well.. Snapped this giant frogfish in the Maldives, it was instantly nicknamed the 'mother-in-law fish' and if she ever finds out I'm a dead man!

post-19542-0-95866500-1360223759_thumb.j

Quite partial to a spot of fishing myself, weather factors in less so a cloudy sky is not a sesion killer. Actually many anglers argue a moonlit night decreases catch rates and there seems to be some consistent truth in this where I fish. Handy having the bins in the tackle bag for those long wasted nights doing nothing by the river :grin:

Tell you what........at least you can fish when it's cloudy.

All the forecasts had promised a totally clear night last night.........you guessed it.....cloud every 5 mins......coupled with below average seeing......and a gusting wind.

Let's just hope this Winter is a freak abomination and not a sign of things to come.

We had the best sky we've seen for ages here... totally clear, no wind and as dark as I've ever seen it (and that's with all the light pollution)... unfortunately, my bad back raised its ugly head and I couldn't sit/stand at my scope at all!!! Ended up taking very strong painkillers and having a early night... I'm still very disappointed!

Archived