Greetings from Bristol

Steve Jackson

Evening all.

As most people seem to do, I thought it best to introduce myself.

Ever since I was a young lad I have always been interested in space and the stars, looking up and dreaming about far away places and what else could be out there. :)

My Dad was always pointing out the major Constellations as well as showing me how to work out which way was North, but we never quite got around to buying a Telescope. :(

I found this site by accident while looking at canon lenses, a guy had taken some shots using a 400mm L series and was curious how he managed it. After browsing quite a few amazing pictures I ended up here and a year later I signed up. :)

I would like to try my hand at Astrophotography (so do most for what i can see! lol) but may not have gone about it the best way.

Don't have any main interest but do seem to like DSO rather than the Solar System. Gone out and ordered myself "Making Every Photon Count" along with a Skywatcher Startravel 80 and a Canon T-Ring for my SLR. The idea behind this is that I get to record my images but also get a Guide Scope (correct me if i'm wrong) later on if I continue and buy more equipment.

Well I've gone on long enough so better get outside and enjoy the clear skies while we have them! :D

SteveJ

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Steve and as a fellow Bristolian may I welcome you to the forum! :grin: Steve Richards' book is both an interesting read as well as being very comprehensive in its guidance so you have made a wise move there. Now the secret of obtaining good consistent DSO images rests with the mount which should ideally be a HEQ5 as both its accuracy and reliability have been proven in the field. It is the ability to accurately track these faint objects that is the key in order for you to collect enough data to construct a final image. For anyone starting off in astrophotography, the solar system would be in my view the best starting point, as fairly good results can be achieved with a simple webcam along with some free software like 'Registax' to help you construct a composite image. It will certainly get you up to speed with the processing part of imaging which represents one half of the process. Like many things, imaging has an initial steep learning curve but which then becomes easier over time.

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum.

James

Hi Steve. In the same position as yourself.

Am in the process of buying a HEQ5 mount to go with my DSLR - for some widefield AP first. (Refractor to come later.)

All the info I needed came from tha guys & gals on this site. You came to the right place.

Enjoy!

Hi Steve welcome to SGL, great site this so make sure you use it in the future, it could say you alot of hassle and money.

just starting out myself in astro so look forward to seeing some of your images in the future.

Archived