Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Esprit PRO Triplet Refractors

FLO

Good answer. Its nice to know that some reseller actually do care about the product they are selling +1 from me. I was only curious to know your point of view on the GTF81 as I was considering it as a possible replacement. I think I will go with the SW Esprit 80ED. I had really good experience with SW in the past.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello

Just to update everyone, My supplier has sourced a 3rd party flattener, so hopfully all will be well. However regarding the flattener for the 120 version, i was told by OVL that it could be longer than sooner !

i asked Skywatcher US/Canada what the problems was with the original flattener, and they said , any info they will let me know

see your dealer, great answer that

Paul

Regardless we are certainly living in interesting times and hopefully the lure of the FSQ85 can be well and truly squashed!!

Heh heh, you never know. However the FSQ85 can work with near perfect colour correction at F3.9. You are right though, if they have got this new 80 pretty close to right then it will have a huge, huge market and rightly so. A fast 80(ish) imagng scope is a real joy to use and will bang out data on windy nights or nights of bad seeing which see the bigger scopes taking the night off. The FSQ is the king of the genre but it's SO expensive that really it isn't a candidate for most people.

|Olly

£999 eh? I'm always sceptical when if it seems too good to be true then it usually is!!

Synta really will have some converts to their "Esprit" brand if the Q.C is good and the scope's are consistent. Just the (not so small matter) focuser to hope meets the requirements as all the other manufacturers have gone R & P and will Synta follow suit?!

Or at least offer the option?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

£999 eh? I'm always sceptical when if it seems too good to be true then it usually is!!

Synta really will have some converts to their "Esprit" brand if the Q.C is good and the scope's are consistent. Just the (not so small matter) focuser to hope meets the requirements as all the other manufacturers have gone R & P and will Synta follow suit?!

Or at least offer the option?

You can hope, £999 is a bit optimistic I know. I'm sure Skywatcher have adequate meat on the bones to allow it to be sold at this price but I suspect they it will be a bit higher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking again at the Canadian Esprit site, I am reading that all the Esprit range are going Pretzval (quintuplet) ranging from the newest 80mm through to the 150mm.

Check out the http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/176025-scope for astrophotography#entry1824688

Looking again at the Canadian Esprit site, I am reading that all the Esprit range are going Pretzval (quintuplet) ranging from the newest 80mm through to the 150mm.

The Skywatcher Esprit series are not Petzvals. A Petzval has four elements. the Skywatcher Esprit 120, 150 and the incoming 80 mm telescopes are 'triplets' with optional doublet flatteners.

The Esprit 100 is an exception, that has five elements inside the optical tube (none of them removable) so is a quintuplet.

HTH,

Steve

The Skywatcher Esprit series are not Petzvals. A Petzval has four elements. the Skywatcher Esprit 120, 150 and the incoming 80 mm telescopes are 'triplets' with optional doublet flatteners.

The Esprit 100 is an exception, that has five elements inside the optical tube (none of them removable) so is a quintuplet.

HTH,

Steve

As per the other thread in the scopes discussion, thank you for the clarification Steve, and for not admonishing me for my Petzval spelling error, after all I had had a red wine or two at that stage. :rolleyes:

I run a one man campaign to return to the old term for Petzvals, which was 'Protrait Lenses.' This was their original purpose in life until they were distracted by the likes of E.E. Barnard for his Milky Way photographs.

Their charm is not needing a specific chip distance. Their Achilles heel is not holding focus over temperature change. I don't know how they work for portraits but I wouldn't risk my Petzval by asking it to take mine...

Olly

Interesting what you say about temperature change and not holding focus Olly - I know with some scopes this is an issue, yet mine will not shift it's focus all night. The focus is still fine a couple of nights after as well if the weather has forced a break. I wonder why some petzvals seem to hold their focus and others don't ....... I think I have a petzval design, but stand corrected if this is not the case.

I think I have a petzval design, but stand corrected if this is not the case.

The Pentax 75 SDHF is an interesting design. It has three elements so isn't a Petzval. It isn't really a triplet either (at least not in most peoples eyes) because the third element is set further back than normal and is used for flattening the image (a triplet's third element is normally part of the objective group and used primarily for colour correction). I think your telescope is best described as an ED doublet with a flattener element.

HTH,

Steve

is it possible to use a reducer/flattener with the esprit range of scopes ?

Yes, for imaging Skywatcher offer an optically-matched flattener for use with their 120 and 150 (the 120 flattener is currently unavailable) Esprit telescopes. The 80 mm Esprit will also have an optional optically matched flattener (the 5-element Esprit 100ED doesn't need one). The flatteners screw onto a M58 thread to ensure they are centred and parallel to the optical axis.

That does seem good, lets hope it ends up as £999 in the UK???

I would rather hope it ends up a straight conversion of the Canadian dollar price, which would bring it in at £636, not very likely I know.

Comparing the Canadian dollar price of the Esprit 120 to UK it works out cheaper than a straight conversion e.g. straight conversion of $3999 Canadian = £2548 but the FLO price is £2095, with the 150 coming in £200 below the conversion without the flattener.

I suspect that if we all wish for it to be £999 then it won't be any less even if it could be.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooo I've been out of the loop for a bit and just spotted this, I originally ordered the GTF-81 from FLO before they decided not to go with it, and I've really missed my exquinox 80 since I sold it, so this might fit the spot nicely :) lets hope it's good and at a good price (sky watcher always is :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Archived