Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Esprit PRO Triplet Refractors

FLO

PS. Steve, I'd be happy to offer the same preview to any of FLO's customers that make similar enquiries :)

Depending on our transport arrangements, the 150ED might be going to Kelling Heath this Autumn too.

Tim

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets hope the production models are sorted. Skywatcher are capable of making some very good stuff so lets hope they rise to the challenge. I'm sure they will.

They will be :smiley:

There were of course a number of changes and refinements made to the design during development but that is normal and is what beta models are made for, to test and develop the design at various stages. I am confident the production model will impress.

I've said this before but it does seem that small fast triplets always have a difficult birth don't they?

Some of the more affordable triplets certainly have.

The only Esprit to have a bumpy start is the hugely ambitious 5-element Esprit ED 100 PRO which had some alignment issues so is back in development. The other Esprit models are performing very well.

Steve

PS. Steve, I'd be happy to offer the same preview to any of FLO's customers that make similar enquiries :)

Thank-you Tim :icon_salut::smiley:

Depending on our transport arrangements, the 150ED might be going to Kelling Heath this Autumn too.

That would be good :glasses2:

I had a feeling this would happen.

I am not supposed to comment on what happens in other countries so I'll just say my advice is return the telescope and wait (like the rest of us) for a production model.

To readers who have landed here after an internet search, please understand Fogboundturtle has jumped the gun. He is not reviewing a production Esprit-80. The Esprit-80 will be ready for launch around Sept/October this year.

HTH,

Steve

This was inspected and approved by SW. I will have to email them my images and see what is the problem. You guys shoudl thank me for finding this out now :-)

This was inspected and approved by SW. I will have to email them my images and see what is the problem. You guys shoudl thank me for finding this out now :-)

I mustn't comment on what is happening over there in Canada. You need to take this up with your supplier.

Here in the UK we will begin assessment of production models when they are launched.

I mustn't comment on what is happening over there in Canada. You need to take this up with your supplier.

Here in the UK we will begin assessment of production models when they are launched.

SW has a foothold in BC. I think part of the management is here. I always get to try stuff before anyone else. 2 years ago, I got to try the first GOTO Dobsonian. SW has always has a high quality product. I am actually surprised about this. I want this scope to be as good as advertised. Either way, I have faith SW will resolve this issue. This unit that I have is the first unit coming out of the production line. SW would have never approved the sale, if they think it wasn't good enough. I am a customer after all. A privilege one but nonetheless.

You guys can take a look for yourself : http://farm8.staticf...5a1b943d1_o.jpg

This was a simple 30 sec capture. The edge of field is unnacceptable. It make the use of an off-axis guider impossible.

I do not think the telescope you have is the same as the UK model currently in production and scheduled for release here this Autumn.

You really do need to discuss this with your supplier :smiley:

Is it a retailer telling you this stuff, or Skywatcher? Because it doesn't fit with what we know over here.

Actually it does. The only difference in the SKU if that you will be getting the 2" diagonal and the RA Finder with the scope. I got the strip down version of it. Have you seen the picture I posted of the scope ? Either way, It could be that I didn't have the correct spacing with the flatterner or I got a defective unit. I will work it out with them and figure out what is wrong.

Is it a retailer telling you this stuff, or Skywatcher? Because it doesn't fit with what we know over here.

Actually it does. The only difference in the SKU if that you will be getting the 2" diagonal and the RA Finder with the scope. I got the strip down version of it. Have you seen the picture I posted of the scope ? Either way, It could be that I didn't have the correct spacing with the flatterner or I got a defective unit. I will work it out with them and figure out what is wrong.

I have seen the photo.

Let's be clear. Did you buy the telescope and receive this advice from a retailer?

I have seen the photo.

Let's be clear. Did you buy the telescope and receive this advice from a retailer?

I bought the scope from a retailler with the approval of Dave @ SW. They were confident that this unit was meeting their standard. The next batch is not coming for another 7 weeks. That's the information I got. I email them this morning and waiting for a reply. I will work with them to see if the issue was with my setup or the scope itself. Visually I can confirm that view without the flattener was not flat at all using an 30mm quality eyepiece. Compare to my 5" Meade 5000 Apo, it was not even close.

I am really good friend with the supplier and I got to try some pretty cool gear from SW over the years. SW has always offer great quality product and I was never dissapointed with any of their offering in the past. This is a first for me. I am sure they are many amongs us who wants to use this cope with an SBIG or an FF Camera. Since I have both at my disposition, I was a very good candiate to put this bad boy to the test. I believe this is why, they release the unit to me. Unfortunately, when I went out this Sunday, the cloud creep out on me and I didn't get to image any target. So I took a really quick sample. What I noticed was the Off-Axis guider camera (ST-i) was not seeing stars but really long streak. So the edge of the view was very elongated and basically unusable for me. When you are trying to be aggressive with a very fast F ratio Triplet in a saturated market, you have to make sure the quality of your product meets expectation. As it stand right now, it doesn't. I was hoping for a lot more.

I don't want to fall out with you or your supplier. But, this is a very strange situation. If your local retailer has sold you an identical product to the one currently in production on the understanding you are the best person to review it, and if Skywatcher has endorsed it, then I think you owe it to them both to make sure you have the spacing correct before you publish results :smiley:

At this point I think it best I say no more and wait for the UK models to arrive.

ATB,

Steve

I don't want to fall out with you or your supplier. But, this is a very strange situation. If your local retailer has sold you an identical product to the one currently in production on the understanding you are the best person to review it, and if Skywatcher has endorsed it, then I think you owe it to them both to make sure you have the spacing correct before you publish results :smiley:

At this point I think it best I say no more and wait for the UK models to arrive.

ATB,

Steve

I agree with you I will work this out with SW. A lot can go wrong with a first light and this is no way a final review of the gear. this could be entirely my fault but let's get something straight : I do not work for SW. I wasn't paid by them to review the scope. I do not write for a magazine or any website. This is the view of a honest customer who calls it like it is. So take my input with a grain of salt. I will update as soon as I have more information.

Hi All

I have the Esprit 120 APO, and thou i was a bit disappointed that it did not come with a dedicated field flattener, as claimed at the time, and still no sign of one coming from Skywatcher, i did manage to get a very good flattener from TS Optics in Germany . The reviews of this telescope by Nik and others is spot on. Im a very happy man with my telescope and the flattener works great.

Paul J

I have the Esprit 120 APO, and thou i was a bit disappointed that it did not come with a dedicated field flattener, as claimed at the time...

Can I just say Paul purchased his telescope at another retailer, not FLO :smiley:

...i did manage to get a very good flattener from TS Optics in Germany . The reviews of this telescope by Nik and others is spot on. Im a very happy man with my telescope and the flattener works great.

Regarding the lack of Skywatcher flattener for the Esprit-120, we think it likely Skywatcher will produce one (they have for the other models) but until then we are recommending the Hotech SCA Field Flattener which works very well indeed with the Esprit-120. And for peace of mind we are offering to accept the Hotech flattener back at full value against a Skywatcher flattener (if/when it is released) within 12-months of purchase :angel:

It is good to hear you are pleased with your Esprit-120 Paul.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Ok guys. If you want to buy one now. There is a copy (which i saw in person) that is available at Vancouver telescope in  Bc, Canada (604-737-4303). Please ask to talk to Nick. Tell him that Claude (that's me) sent you and you can have a brand new Esprit 80ED. there is no diagonal or finder with it. He is asking for 1,200$ (canadian dollars).

well. you don't have copies yet. I would have gladly pimp your store *wink*.

Please don't 'pimp' on our behalf Claude.

We are waiting for production models. The latest word from Skywatcher is they are around seven weeks away. 

Have you a link to any posted images taken with the correctly spaced setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I did not. there is a really good reason for it : my power tank died just when I was about to do some capture. I was in a dark site too. I don't have to explain to you my level of frustration about the event. I did secure a new power tank with 1000A/700w inverter so I will be ready for the next clear night.

I did not. there is a really good reason for it : my power tank died just when I was about to do some capture. I was in a dark site too. I don't have to explain to you my level of frustration about the event. I did secure a new power tank with 1000A/700w inverter so I will be ready for the next clear night.

That's a shame. It must be really frustrating for you having had the scope for some two and a half months now too and we thought our UK clouds were bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Archived