Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Esprit PRO Triplet Refractors

FLO

I'm not sure (and dont really care) about the physical location of Synta on the planet, but whenever I have correspondence with them it is with Chinese staff in Canada.

Since selling my Borg I have been thinking about re-establishing a refractor in my stable, the Esprits certainly sound very tempting :)

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anybody know if the Esprit 80 with the flattener will cover a full frame sensor (44mm) ?

Beware that the full frame CCDs by Kodak seem to need more than 44mm. Based on Atik's data for the chip size you need a little over 45mm. I tried my full frame in a Tak FSQ85 with a 44mm circle and found significant edge distortions, so I've moved over the the FSQ106 to overcome that issue. Of course, I've no way of knowing what the real image circle is in the 85 but Tak are generally pretty accurate and conservative in their claims. Atik say the Kodak chip's long side is 37mm.

Olly

Beware that the full frame CCDs by Kodak seem to need more than 44mm. Based on Atik's data for the chip size you need a little over 45mm. I tried my full frame in a Tak FSQ85 with a 44mm circle and found significant edge distortions, so I've moved over the the FSQ106 to overcome that issue. Of course, I've no way of knowing what the real image circle is in the 85 but Tak are generally pretty accurate and conservative in their claims. Atik say the Kodak chip's long side is 37mm.

Olly

Olly was that with reducer ?

• 2 weeks later...

I was told the scope(s) are on the boat from Cina to Vancouver. It should be here in ~2 weeks or so. I'll be able to answer your questions very soon.

ETA for us Brits is June so if you Canadians would be kind enough to iron out any wrinkles we'll be ever so grateful :grin:

Thought you might be interested in these daytime pics taken with an Esprit 150ED.

Skywatcher Esprit 150ED with Canon 400D. The first shot is a'normal' view from my obsy, facing due east, with the 18-55 kit lens. There is an old windsock pole about 50m from my obsy. The second shot is at 200mm with the best lens I have, a Canon EF f2.8L 70-200. Finally with the Esprit, which is 1050mm. The clarity and sharpness of the telescope lens is incredible. There is a blob of ice on one of the dangly things, and you can see a speck of rust in it. For a sense of scale, you can also see air rifle .22 pellets lodged in the pole, and holes from .177 pellets. Daytime pics like these give me a lot of confidence in what the scope can do at night. Let's hope it clears sometime soon!

post-1391-0-62209300-1364149393_thumb.jp

post-1391-0-10471500-1364149452_thumb.jp

post-1391-0-72288500-1364149690_thumb.jp

It's on loan Andrew :smiley:

Tim offered to assess an Esprit.

It'll be good to hear what he thinks of it.

Steve

That'll be brilliant. Looks like a bit of a dream scope for me.

Seems like excellent value as well, with the recent price drop.

Andrew

The pic was taken with the supplied flattener in place, forgot to mention that.

When you look down the tube, the glass effuses a rich green quality from the coatings. I have to say, this is a very desirable scope! And I haven't turned it to the sky yet!

A really frustrating night last night, by the time it cleared enough for a pop at the moon it was out of range from my obsy, so in the end, shock horror! I took the camera off and put an eyepiece in.

I've never viewed anything of significance through a refractor really, but even through the passing clouds Saturn was clean and crisp, really popping into sharp focus in a way I haven't seen happen on the many reflectors I have accumulated.

Might get a bit of sky tonight.........

Latest news : SW never shipped the first batch. they were not happy with the image with the flattener in place. ETA on the delay : 3 to 5 weeks.

Are you hearing that from Skywatcher or a retailer? Retailers do say funny things sometimes :grin:

Latest news : SW never shipped the first batch. they were not happy with the image with the flattener in place. ETA on the delay : 3 to 5 weeks.

Yes I'm also keen to learn more about this? It does seem that triplets generally have a difficult birth doesn't it....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It does seem that triplets generally have a difficult birth doesn't it....

I think it is that SGL is becoming more international so we are hearing news from several sources. It is becoming difficult to separate truth from rumour and hearsay from marketing.

I think it is that SGL is becoming more international so we are hearing news from several sources. It is becoming difficult to separate truth from rumour and hearsay from marketing.

Yeah fair point, I will keep reading and hopefully more real facts will emerge.

From SW. I have my contacts *wink*.

This makes some sense, I had a meeting a couple of weeks ago with someone from Schott, work related so nothing to do with astronomy. However, we always seem to talk about astronomy at some point and we talked a little about triplets. One thing he did say was that the "new Esprit triplets would be worth the wait" which sort of implies that they are not quite ready to ship yet.

He also said how it was funny that FD51 and FD53 glass tended to get all the attention, the matching Schott glass is just as important as the ED glass but that seems to get missed all the time.

I WANT an 80mm triplet and the new Skywatcher Esprit fits the bill.....let hope its a good one.

Thanks

HI guys

Just as I`m getting interested in checking out an Espirit 120mm I hear of a new SW 120mm Quantum and wondering if anyone knows anything about them please? Are they a rebranded Espirit, ED, or a new model?

Thanks

Steve

Archived