Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from the cloudy Channel Islands

SDM

Hi Everyone,

I've been following the forums for a few months now and after capturing my first image on my new scope last night I thought it would be good form to introduce myself. The scope was actually a Christmas present from my wife but it's only seen the sky 3 or 4 times due to the conditions. I'm also studying Astronomy via distance learning course at the moment and hope to continue that for some time. Astronomy has always been an interest of mine but I find myself getting drawn into it more rapidly over the last couple of years... long may it continue!

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Shane

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Shane and welcome to SGL.

Don't be too disheartened with the clouds, they'll clear eventually and you should get some wonderful dark sky views there.

Oh, and post your image up so we can see it - it's a strict forum rule, especially with the first one ;)

Thanks Alan, I'm currently on the Intro to Astronomy from UCLAN. If I can get myself into gear to pass this year, I'll be trying to continue on next time.

Hi Brent, We do get some great dark skies down this way. Since October, we've had a LOT of clouds though, I don't remember it being this bad.

I'd hate to break the rules so here is my image. This was the first time I'd attached my SLR to the scope using a T-Ring. It was straight on the back and I didn't even touch the settings. I've already planned my next attempt and it will involve a 1.4X multiplier and a I'll adjust the shutter speed so that the auto exposure doesn't blow out the planet. Oh...it's Jupiter if you couldn't tell :wink:

8432830803_c6199ed30a.jpg

Hopefully the next one will be a bit more colourful.

Archived