Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

anyone a globular cluster fan?

Robstargazer15

The forecast is looking good here for tomorrow and I've just planned my observations for the night, M79 is (hopefully!) going to be my 100th Messier observed but at only 15˚ above the horizon its not going to be a show stopper! :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm quite a fan of globs as well. With my 90mm Mak, I couldn't resolve any stars in just about all of them except that really big one that can be seen from the Northern Hemisphere (who's name escapes me right now...not m13 or m22 :icon_scratch: ). The only that never bores me is M13. In dark skies they all come to life and show their stars. (Pun intended).

Josh

The intergalactic wanderer is up there now. So are several others which are well worth a look

Michael, that's interesting. I found this recently , fascinating with the distance and brilliant name, but maybe not visually stunning .

Barry

I spent a couple nights in September just observing the globulars around Sagittarius, I think M22 is my favourite.

As much as I enjoy globs I'm itching to get started on the spring galaxies, I've had enough of the winter open clusters!

sag/sco is possibly my favorite part of the sky but its a bit like shooting fish in a barrel ;).

Scott

the intergalactic wanderer eh , sounds very doctor who :grin: .

m22 suprised me ,as it was fairly low down when i found it, but i had the advantage of it being seen on my first edge of town trip. very impressed i have to say.

I've still got another 6 Messier globulars to sketch but out of the ones I've done so far these are my favourites., they arent in any particular order and M13 isnt in there yet.

Some of them arent that bright but sometimes there shapes or patterns make up for it. :)

post-20821-0-53123200-1359742791_thumb.j

post-20821-0-47973000-1359742797_thumb.j

post-20821-0-07203700-1359742805_thumb.j

post-20821-0-45887200-1359742815_thumb.j

post-20821-0-39921600-1359742826_thumb.j

post-20821-0-50817600-1359742835_thumb.j

post-20821-0-61642900-1359742842_thumb.j

Great sketches Mike :smiley:

Globular clusters are an object type where increased aperture really delivers a immediately noticeable improvement in the views. I found 10" starts to make the brighter ones resemble their photographs.

I did have a look at M13 with a 20" dobsonian at an SGL starparty - that view won't be forgotten any time soon :shocked:

Has anyone noticed that when you get 12" aperture or above, good seeing conditions, and apply some magnification, the central core area of the cluster M13 seems to swarm with stars ? - almost as if they are moving !. It's just an optical illusion but I've noticed it once or twice when the seeing has been excellent.

Sure, M13 is a beauty, M3 , very very nice, but don't forget poor old M92, he gets a bad deal sitting right beside the gloryhogger.

Three cheers for M92 !!!

Barry

hip hip horray :grin: yup i love m92 but not in the biblical sense i just find it nicer than m13 , its the same as m36-m38 i prefer m35 in gemini just cant help myself as i know theyre all clusters but some are just plain old nicer to view than others

Great sketches Mike :smiley:

Globular clusters are an object type where increased aperture really delivers a immediately noticeable improvement in the views. I found 10" starts to make the brighter ones resemble their photographs.

I did have a look at M13 with a 20" dobsonian at an SGL starparty - that view won't be forgotten any time soon :shocked:

Has anyone noticed that when you get 12" aperture or above, good seeing conditions, and apply some magnification, the central core area of the cluster M13 seems to swarm with stars ? - almost as if they are moving !. It's just an optical illusion but I've noticed it once or twice when the seeing has been excellent.

I completely agree John. especially so if you rotate your eye slowly effectively using constant averted vision. it's a beautiful and bizarre effect. with my 16" I can resolve most if not all Messier clusters to the cores.

I've been using O'Mearas Messier objects book to 'talk me' through the Messiers and he describes most of the globular as having strange creature like shapes or patterns, I dont think I have the imagination he has because I've really struggled seeing anything like that! :grin:

Its been interesting using his book though, his descriptions and sketches are very similar to what I have seen in good UK skies (VLM 6.2) with my 12" SW except he uses a little 4" TV on top of some Hawaiian mountain! :)

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but my introduction to globs was what gave me my first bout of aperture fever :eek:

Kind of partial to a nice open cluster too though... as small frac or pair of bins work wonders :cool: in contrast to the brute force of C11 :D

It's probably best I NEVER set eyes on any globs in a larger scope than I can carry :D:eek:

Archived