Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

anyone a globular cluster fan?

Robstargazer15

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can still remember seeing M13 through Shane's 16" at PSP 2011 - it will never look the same again.

At least until I get myself 16" of aperture!

Thanks Shane.

My 12 year old daughter still talks about it too - made a real impression on her.

Clear skies

Paul

I spent a couple nights in September just observing the globulars around Sagittarius, I think M22 is my favourite.

As much as I enjoy globs I'm itching to get started on the spring galaxies, I've had enough of the winter open clusters!

Yes I am a fan, unfortunately a lot of the other Messier objects with my scope are averted vision objects, and you're never sure whether they are there or not, until you've looked at it a few times of course :). Globular clusters are much more obvious, and fun to observe.

I can still remember seeing M13 through Shane's 16" at PSP 2011 - it will never look the same again.

At least until I get myself 16" of aperture!

Thanks Shane.

My 12 year old daughter still talks about it too - made a real impression on her.

Clear skies

Paul

happy to help! (and sorry to spoil future views :evil::grin: )

Sadly 47 Tucanae is not visible from my location. Even though i live far south, it never comes close to rising.

I can just imagine how it will look like in a large scope.

Omega Centauri cant escape atmospheric turbulence so its highest altitude is 11° above the southern horizon. I can only observe it while it is near that point. The cluster is not resolved at any power in my 4se.

My 12" is awaiting the opportunity.

I think I have always liked them because a unknown cluster was one of the first things I ever looked at under the magnification of my Dad's bins.

It totally blew me away, I had no idea what it was either at the time but I was hooked.

Not long until we're into glob season.

I love M22 and look forward to catching a few more of the low ones in Ophiuchus, Scorpius and Sagittarius, if I get a clear night in Cornwall this coming May.

One day I might even get the chance to see Omega Centauri and 47 Tucanae. The first one should be within easy reach but 47 will require a long haul holiday well into the future.

Archived