Just begun

westwales

Hi

Just bought a Skywatcher 130p with 10mm and 25mm EPs and added a celestron omni 2x barlow. Just need a clear night to et up the red dot finder and align the scope to north.

One question so far, if I may.: - the barlow is quite long - how far into the focuser should it go? Push it in all the way or only a little? Or somewher between? I'm frightened of doing some damage to the secondary mirror if I get it wrong

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi westwales! Welcome to SGL!

As members have already said the barlow should go in up to the shoulder and then be held in place with the little thumb screw(s). The ep is then placed in the open end of the barlow again up to the shoulder and the thumb screw(s) tightened to hold it in place. These only need to be 'nipped up' just enough in order to hold the barlow & ep in place. You don't need to put any force on them.

Also as previously stated, it is a good idea to get your finder (scope or red dot) aligned during the day. Pick an object - the further away the better - like the finial on top of a church spire or weather vane, an antenna mast, power pylon etc or even an aerial on top of a chimney. Centre the object of your choice in your main scope first. Start with your 25mm and once centred, move up to your 10mm and centre again. You could then put in your barlow and 25mm & then 10mm to get maximum accuracy although focus may be difficult depending on conditions. Once you are happy with the centring in your main scope, without moving your mount, move to your red dot finder and using the adjustment screws move the finder so that the object you chose is bang in the centre. The finder and main OTA (optical tube assembly) will now be aligned.

I hope you manage to get out soon and have first light with your new scope.

Clear skies.

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome and excellent advice. Just tried the Barlow in the focuser. Slid in to the shoulder and doesn't foul the secondary as I'd feared. Thanks Bryan and dude_with_the_tube. If tomorrow is dry (lol!) I'll align the finder using a tv mast about 5 miles away. Thanks for the tip about Poppit Damian, roll on clear skies!

I'll align the finder using a tv mast about 5 miles away.

That's a nice object to have and a really good distance too. Take your time and get it as accurate as you can and it will save you time and frustration later. Also be careful not to knock the finder once you have it aligned to your main scope.

We should get a bit of clear sky here tonight, so hopefully I can get outside for the first time in over a week!

Good luck and hope to hear all about your first observing session soon!

Archived