Always loved Astronomy but never really did anything about it

So i bought myself a pair of Binoculars Pentax 10x50 PCF WP II

and i will start to learn the sky before i delve into a telescope

and hope i can be a contribution in the future

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jamie,

Welcome to SGL. As a relative newb myself I can say that is an excellent and very friendly forum and a great place to start off and progress in the world of astronomy. Off to a great start with the bins, +1 for stellarium (to give you a live view of what you would see if only the clouds would clear), the book Turn Left at Orion is also widely recommended to help you orientate and start finding your way around the sky.

Steep learning curve, great fun and an interest for life - Enjoy.

Jake

Hi Jamie, welome to the forum ive just started myself with a pair of binos its a great way to get to know the sky before getting a scope, stellarium.org is a great program for practicing finding stuff when the clouds are over (most the time at the moment) and if youve got an iphone theres loads of great apps that use the gps to show you where the stars and planets are, sky view, star walk and sky safari 3 seem to be the best

clear skies

Rob

Hi Jamie welcome to SGL, the guys above have pretty much covered the stuff you need to get you going, when your ready to move onto a telescope the people here will help you make the right choice, clear skys

Hi Jamie and welcome to SGL, binoculars are a very good way to start to to get to grips with learning the night sky, with the atrocious weather we have had of late, is it quite easy to get out under the stars in the brief periods we get, whereas sometimes setting up a scope may be out of the question, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Welcome aboard Jamie,

Sound decision to learn the sky with bins, it's not going anywhere so the scope can wait! Bins are great for grab and go and given the paucity of clear skies, you'll be up and at em quicker than most!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Hi Jamie and welcome to the forum. Some good recommendations above and together with those nice binoculars that you have bought, will give you a great start in astronomy and learning the night sky. In addition, you might like to take a look at this website which provides both guidance on binos and mounting them along with suggested monthly targets for you to track down.

Clear skies soon and enjoy the forum.

James

Archived