Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece for planetary observing with 200p

jakeybob

Hi there,

I'm just about to buy (well, over the next couple of weeks) a Skywatcher 200p Dob as my first telescope. I understand that the included eyepieces (10 mm, 25 mm) are fine, but could be better; so I'm thinking about buying another optic, pretty much specifically for planetary viewing. The way I see it, there are two options.

1) get a Barlow.

This would reduce the 10 mm eyepiece to 5 mm, giving 240x magnification. However, adding more glass to a non high-quality optic doesn't feel like an ace plan.

2) get a <10 mm eyepiece.

Makes sense, but my budget will be limited after forking out for the scope. I understand that the BST Explorer / Starguider from "Sky's the Limit" on eBay are a good buy. The 8 mm and 5 mm varieties would correspond to 150x and 240x magnification.

So, I guess what I'm asking is ...

a) is 240x too high a magnification to practically use? I have a pair of binoculars I've been using for the last six months, but this would be my first scope so I'm lacking in the experience to judge this ;) I've read in several places that >200x magnification isn't that useful through a typical UK atmosphere, especially on a manual scope.

B) is 150x too *low* a magnification for planetary duties...? I've simulated the eyepiece in Stellarium and e.g. Jupiter looks quite small, but I suspect this is due to unreasonable expectations on my part.

If there was a 6 mm or 7 mm BST Explorer I guess that would be perfect. At the moment I'm thinking I'll get the 8 mm then at a later date get a Barlow, which would give me effective 4 mm and 5 mm options if I feel I need them. Alternatively I could get the 12 mm BST and then a Barlow would convert that to 6 mm, but I'd have to wait until I got the Barlow. HRRNG TOO MANY OPTIONS ;)

Apologies if this is a bit of a ramble - all opinions appreciated!

Bob

The 10mm that comes with the scope is not that good your scope has maximum mag of 400x so the 5mm BST at 240x would be ok the ive got the 8mm in a 150p and that is brilliant i was even thinking of getting the 5 mm at that would give me 150x mag so that's only half my maximum.

I reckon you would find 200x more use, more often so thats where I would invest, initially at least. You can always add a further high power eyepiece in due course if you feel you need it. A 6mm eyepiece with the Skyliner 200P gives 200x. As for what to buy, that depends on how much you want to pay. The Vixen NPL's are decent quality for £35 or you can push the boat out a little further and go for a William Optics 6mm SPL which are around £70 but very nice to use I'm told. The BST Explorers get loads of good feedback on here but I don't know if they do a 6mm.

It might be a good idea to try the scope with the eyepieces that come with it for a session or so then you will be able to choose your accessories with some personal experience under your belt.

I've used 240x on Jupiter with my 200p skyliner, that was using a baader gen ortho, but I preferred the views at 177x with a 7mm eyepiece, that was a TV nagler which was easier to use than the BGO as the larger AFOV (and lower mag)meant Jupiter stayed in the eyepiece longer. I don't have a 6mm eyepiece so do have a gap to plug between the 2 mags.

dont rush into buying eyepieces, get used to the scope first, I've learnt choosing eyepieces isn't just about the mag they give, eye relief, field of view, and exit pupil also need to be considered.

See what sort of views you get with what comes with the scope, you never know you might be pleased with the eyepieces that come with it, it may well also come with a Barlow. BST eyepieces seem to have site approval from some very knowledgeable people and sometimes you see these secondhand for just over 30 quid. It will always pay off to get to know your scope a little first.

I only hope the weather looks kindly upon you, it looked terrible on Sunday when I was watching the football.

Alan.

When the scope arrives build it up and get used to it, set up the finder scope and when possible try it out - pick something easy, at present Jupiter and the Pleiades come to mind.

Work your way through the eyepieces and the barlow to see how they do for you.

If the supplied 10mm isn't too good, or you just want a bit more, then I would suggest you consider one of the 8mm BST's. Although the 5mm is tempting you also need atmosphere conditions and a bit of luck when going over 200x, the 5mm can be purchased later if the 8mm suits you and you want the additional magnification.

Thanks for all the detailed and speedy replies!

I'll do the sensible thing and wait until I've had a good few nights with the scope before deciding what to do - I guess it's very easy to get ahead of yourself when browsing astro equipment :)

Wise move Jakey. Just get used to the scope first and find your way around. Try the eyepieces out and get to know them then you will be able to see the differences when you upgrade.

I agree in terms of magnification, for Jupiter often x180 is a good high power. Saturn and Mars can generally benefit from more, say x200, up to x230 for mars on good nights with stable seeing conditions. Of course there are rare nights when you can use more but best to get ep's that you use frequently.

Cheers

Stu

Well done that man. It will pay off in the end. I wish I had joined this site a good few years before I did, I think the members would have saved me a great deal of money because I made a lot of mistakes before I got to where I am now. There are a good few things I would not have done.

Alan.

Hi sorry to hijack the thread, i have had the skyliner 200 p for a week, i like the 25 eyepeice , but the 10 m is not great even tho its bigger,

I would like to get an eyepeice that will offer even bigger views and much better quailty, of the planets ect,

please can you reccomend 1 good quality eyepeice that will be the one to replace the 10 and be even more powerful, somehting under 10, maybe a 7 ?

as i could always barlow the 10 to a 5 in the future,?

i dont use a barlow yet im hopefully getting one soon,

I know i should spend a bit more time with the scope, but my birthday is not far away and i will be getting one for then so i need to make my choice now and keep an eye out 2nd hand or if not new. I have a buget of about £50

Also something i may consider if they exist, an eyepeice that lets you pick the zoom level you want ?

any help would be really appreciated, thanks

Would the William Optics SPL eyepiece

work well in an averga light polluted area, or would the 7mm bst be better ?

I have been given money as an early birthday present to buy one, so £60 ish is my budget for 1 super high quality eyepeice ,

BST dont do a 7mm only an 8mm which is an excellent eyepiece i know ive got one.

I have not tried the Celestron X Cel LX's but they get good reviews hereabouts, but my choice would be the BST Explorers/StarGuiders as they are very good, looking at your preferred focal lengths I would say the 8mm and the 18mm BST's would be very good choices for you.

Just my 2p worth. With my 200p, I use an 6mm Baader Genuine Ortho (x200) quite tight eye relief but absolutely outstanding planetary views. I also use an 8mm BST starguider and find on clear nights it Barlows very well. Both are in my opinion are brilliant planetary eyepieces. Good luck.

Paul.

Just had my first observing session with my new (arrived on Monday) 200p. Loved it to bits - the view of Jupiter was stunning. Really clear cloud belts and even the colours looked surprisingly vivid. I deliberately limited myself to a brief session looking at a few obvious objects that I knew would be easy to find. The scope certainly requires order of magnitude more faff than binoculars, and will take some getting used to. Worth it for the view though :laugh:

As for eyepieces I'm currently leaning towards the WO SPL 6mm that bingevader mentioned above, as the long eye relief should help when observing with my specs on.

Archived