Hi from freezing Scotland

alan g

Hello all, just wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Alan and I live in Lesmahagow in South Lanarkshire.

This is my first foray into astronomy and thanks largely to this site and it's reviews done by other members, I took delivery of my first telescope at the start of last week. I am now the proud owner of a Skywatcher Heritage 130P.

Thankfully where I live the light pollution isn't bad ( though the 30ft tree in the back garden can get in the way at times ! ) and I managed to set it up the night after it arrived and got some wonderful views of Jupiter and its moons. On Saturday myself and almost 200 others were lucky enough to be able to attend a stargazing event held at New Lanark world heritage site but unfortunately we only had about an hour of clear sky before it clouded over, but while there we were entertained by members of the Clydesdale Astronomical Society who were all very friendly and helpful.

Well thats enough about me, don't want to bore you all to death.

Looking forward to being a long term member.

Alan.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL Alan.

Good luck with your new telescope, and with your pollution free skies up there, plenty to observe.

Loads of help available here, you just need to ask.

I'm just south of the Scottish border in Cumbria, and believe me, it's perishing cold down here tonight, and snow on the way too.

Best Wishes.

Ron.

Hi Alan and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new scope but what a shame you only had an hour of good weather at the world heritage site as I would imagine those are going to be dark skies there - hopefully more clear skies to come soon!

Wishing you clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum

James

Welcome to SGL Alan :)

I see you've already found the Central Scotland forum, keep a look out for the meetings section, there's a few sites we use not far from where you are where we do observing / imaging sessions, usually at short notice if its clear.

Archived