NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

stargazers live.... thoughts?

garethmob

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess our perception of the programme (indeed any programme) is affected by the amount of knowledge we have on a subject.

I'm not sure who they are aiming this programme at, if it's aimed at getting more people interested in looking to the skies who don't already do this and don't know much or anything about it then maybe the programme is pitched right.

As a generalisation most people on here do have an amount of knowledge already.

Agreed.

The aftershow has a little more time for discussion (and humour) and if i'm honest, I think I prefer it..... but any Astronomy on TV is a good thing and I look forward to an influx of interest on this forum as a result. Some of whom will stick at it. :smiley:

I would've preferred it if they kept to astronomy and not spend so much time delving into things that are merely related to space. I am however looking forwards to tomorrow where they will be talking about things that I actually see in my scope :) THE UNIVERSE!

A shame about the clouds. They should set up live stargazing outside broadcasts from a few locations (e.g. Sark, Jodrell and the Scottish Borders) to get a better chance of clear skies. I seem to recall the Borders having clear skies over Stargazing Live for at least 2 of the past 3 years.

+1 to that then we would have had a bit of viewing going on as well

I thought it was more of a general science program and had little to do with "Stargazing Live". Better than the usual soap rubbish that missus has on normally but personally I was not impressed. Hoping next two will be more in keeping with astronomy.

Yes, that's my opinion too. If there had been a little less science and some annoying background music it could have been any one of many episodes of Horizon. Just generic "Stuff about space" :(

one question id like to ask the admin / mods...... who won the bet:P theres bound to be a thread below for how long a thread on SGL would start hehe

You've got us all wrong Guv'nor. Would we do a thing like that? :evil:

I was a bit miffed by all the focus on NASA. Even when a probe was mentioned like Cassini which was joint ESA-NASA, ESA was never even mentioned. And then when plans for future missions to Mars were mentioned, ESA's exciting medium term plans were not mentioned, nor the fact that NASA pulled its own funding for those very missions.

People (like UKIP) question the value of ESA, and it is not helped when a European program sounds like it was made for NASA TV, with one mention of ESA in the entire show, with even a live video link to the NASA cafeteria! Just grumbling.

Well, I'm a little ashamed to say I watched the Bradford vs. Aston Villa match instead (I'm a Bradfordian), and I'm glad I did!

Will be watching SGL tomorrow though on catch-up.

Now hoping for the half expected cloud clearance after midnight. (If I get it that's my day REALLY made!)

I thought the show was ok.

I don't know if they really need the "live" link ups as they seem to be trying to cram in too much.

It was clear here tonight. Hopefully will be clear on Saturday as our astronomy club has organised an event.

Neil

Inevitable that a prime time TV programme is going to be a bit "general" and at a level where some on this forum may find some of the content a bit superficial - but it HAS to appeal to as many as possible. I agree that there was a lot of Mars on tonite's show but it is a topical place at the moment and they have to build some sort of theme for the more general viewer. For me I love the chat especially in back to earth and delight in the idea that the enthusiasm of all concerned will rub off on as much of the population as possible! Looking forward to the other two episodes.

watching the sky`s is part of science and i like the way the program brings that together, it didn`t teach me anything but i enjoyed it and the wife will watch as well, i really thought that they should of started the main program with a little bit about patrick moore, 30 seconds would of done rather than leave it to the end of the after show, but i`m sure i`ll enjoy the next couple of nghts while it`s constantly cloudy.

8 out of 10 for me and sure if the weather had been clear there would have been more emphasis on the observing - quite a good bit on the Jupiters moons, but also found the live link ups a bit of a distraction.

One day I will see Brian Cox frown!

I'm the same as many of the other posters, good program, but not a lot about astronomy.

I'd like to see them follow a number of newbies, so it can relate to the public what can really be done. Follow someone buying their first scope, reasonable sized for a reasonable budget - which is where most get started. Actually get someone looking at Jupiter or the moon for the first time (though Sky At Night did do some of this in their most recent episode). You could follow another doing low cost imaging with a webcam and then perhaps something from an experienced observer or imager with some serious kit to give the wow factor.

One of the purposes of this program has to be to say to people "this is how easy it is to get out there and start". I always dreamed of buying a scope, but thought they were silly amounts of money. It was only after years scanning the night sky randomly with binoculars, that I saw some prices and realised it was well within my budget.

Someone watched the football tonight. I saw tonights program as more like the football results than watching a game.

Like many others I was watching partly because it's the right thing to do in front of the family :-) but would have wished for a bit more 'astro and less space' because Horizon abd Brian Cox already caters for the later. Would like to have seen more on the 'hobby side' and agree the show should take place nearer March when the weather might be kinder. I preferred the second hour. Would have liked more involvement of 'regular jack and jill' 'amateurs' and thought David Baddeil was a bit superflous. Myleene Klass and John Culshaw at least do observing! Totally agree that NASA is too often the BBC 'GoTo' guys when Europe have some impressive stories to tell. Or even ESO! I guess we had Herschel last year. Why not get Sky at Night team in the loop as well to act as a link to monthly sessions? Or is this because of different production teams and territory?

To be honest I drifted off to sleep half way through... bored me to tears and went of with too many tangents... had the same "rushed" feel as the 1st series with guest speakers being rudely interrupted by Darra...

Mind you I did think Brian May did a wonderful impression of Sir Issac Newton... with the grey curly hair :)

Inevitable that a prime time TV programme is going to be a bit "general" and at a level where some on this forum may find some of the content a bit superficial - but it HAS to appeal to as many as possible. I agree that there was a lot of Mars on tonite's show but it is a topical place at the moment and they have to build some sort of theme for the more general viewer. For me I love the chat especially in back to earth and delight in the idea that the enthusiasm of all concerned will rub off on as much of the population as possible! Looking forward to the other two episodes.

That's pretty much my thoughts.

I really enjoyed the show. I love to hear the science that underpins the hobby. And I think its fantastic to hear a discussion amongst intelligent people about something I'm interested in for a change instead of the usual rubbish on the box! (BTW have a look at Africa by Attenborough as well - amazing)

Archived