SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

stargazers live.... thoughts?

garethmob

Do we expect it will be back next year? Any news on the ratings? My feeling is it did well, as I've had people asking about peering through my scope, with a worrying comment about surely being able to see footprints on the moon with it thrown in for good measure.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to think that'd be the case as well.

Personally, I would like to see a greater female involvement but I also think the other presenters do a great job. Chris LIntott is excellent - saw him speak recently. He's actually very funny and it would be nice to see some of that coming across a bit more.

Yes i take your point.

I think Lucy Green,who does now appear more often,is very good,and has an engaging personality,I also like the Italian Lady, Giovanni(whose second name escapes me) She is involved with the search for planets around other stars,and is also very good to listen to.

I agree entirely about Chris Lintott,i think he would do Patrick proud as a front man.

Mick.

Still uncertain of the target audience. If its intended to appeal to newbies and get them out looking at the night sky and interested in astronomy and space then fair enough; there is also enough to appeal to a more knowledgable audience - just a pity that some of it occurs in the after show.

As for actual stargazing, was the format really geared to observing - even when the Wednesday night was clear at JB there was hardly a rush to go outside to show the viewer anything; it all seemed geared for pre-planned segments, and the interesting sections from across at NASA. In all its more a magazine/news format, not unlike the Beebs successful nature Spring/Autumn/Winter Watch series - might as well call it Space Watch and be done with it.

I expect it will be back next year, if only for coverage of the anticipated comet Ison.

My society, the Astronomocal Society of Glasgow, took part in the Beeb's Stargazing Live event at Glasgow's Botanic Gardens on 10 January. According to the BBC we had over 4400 people through the doors. We set up scopes in the grounds and had an informatiove stand inside. It was very hectic but very rewarding - and we picked up a few new members.

It was the first series of Stargazing Live which really made my interest in astronomy take off. I joined a local society and bought my first scope after watching it. I think it was a very good show again this year, also, am I the only person who thinks that the weather was a success?

Surely to get one clear night out of three (2nd night) is very good, no? I do agree with most that the Back to Earth programme is probably more engaging than the main show due to its open discussion.

Anyway, I knew pretty much nothing about stars when the first series was on. Now I get people asking ME about stars. I've also just bought my 3rd scope, but I'm not selling my other ones. I need a scope for avery occassion.

I enjoyed it myself tbh, even though it was laking what it's title suggests. Although still believe it was rushed.

I liked the fact that they highlighted the impending cascade due to the millions of bits of space junk we've put around the planet. Reminds me of Wall-E, only trouble is it's real. Where their's humans, their's junk ;)

I liked the fact that they highlighted the impending cascade due to the millions of bits of space junk we've put around the planet. Reminds me of Wall-E, only trouble is it's real. Where their's humans, their's junk ;)

Well hopefully 2012 DA14 will clear a fair amount of rubbish on its way past!

Archived