SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

stargazers live.... thoughts?

garethmob

i thought it was really good episode, althrough with out tv i was watchin it on tv catchup and it kept losing signal as i was using my phone with tethering

daras comment of booking a 1970s presenter got me, i havent the foggiest who it was about. but i did like the tribute to sir patrick moore in the back to earth section

so over to you!

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was more of a general science program and had little to do with "Stargazing Live". Better than the usual soap rubbish that missus has on normally but personally I was not impressed. Hoping next two will be more in keeping with astronomy.

I question the emphasis on Mars when it's so singularly ill-placed for observing at the moment.

i dont think it was quite so much about observing it ,its all the razzamataz surrounding the curriosity i think.

as per usual i think its pretty well put together,and i like all the people who are involved in it.

Enjoyed it again. Thought the chemistry bit went off on tangent a bit for the first episode, but otherwise good.

A shame about the clouds. They should set up live stargazing outside broadcasts from a few locations (e.g. Sark, Jodrell and the Scottish Borders) to get a better chance of clear skies. I seem to recall the Borders having clear skies over Stargazing Live for at least 2 of the past 3 years.

daras comment of booking a 1970s presenter got me, i havent the foggiest who it was about. but i did like the tribute to sir patrick moore in the back to earth section

so over to you!

think it was about the Saville etc BBC presenter investigation.

i agree, it should be based later in the year, or before christmas (possiably helping with the sales as well as the weather) and the comment with it losing the plot, it did a little, althrough the experiments done easly were more suited to one of the royal christmas lectures than somthing thats supposed to be "all about astronomy and live" at least they didnt go to a hot country this time, althrough maybe they would of had more chance of seeing somthing.

one thing i liked was the joining up of the astro zoo scheme of mars images..... but they did go a bit too far into the past and not the present as the name says

think it was about the Saville etc BBC presenter investigation.

ahh i see, maybe a little inapproiate, but could easly argue past the watershed, expess with alcohol........

and im shocked for the 3rd year in a row the 2 astronomers staple products not shown..... jaffa cakes... and bovil

ahh i see, maybe a little inapproiate, but could easly argue past the watershed, expess with alcohol........

and im shocked for the 3rd year in a row the 2 astronomers staple products not shown..... jaffa cakes... and bovil

...and brandy :)

Not really struck on it for myself BUT anything thats gets people interested and gets them away from celeb rubbish has to be a good thing. Its very scaled down but it is for a general audience rather than die hards.

A worthy effort all in all.

I guess our perception of the programme (indeed any programme) is affected by the amount of knowledge we have on a subject.

I'm not sure who they are aiming this programme at, if it's aimed at getting more people interested in looking to the skies who don't already do this and don't know much or anything about it then maybe the programme is pitched right.

As a generalisation most people on here do have an amount of knowledge already.

Not as good as last year but it was still rather good and its only the first episode so I cant give a proper review until the last episode, overall could have a bit more about stargazing but still better than eastenders or x factor

I rather enjoyed it and thought it was better than last years programme. The Sky at Night it's not, but I thought that it did what it said on the tin.

That guy from NASA is just the coolest mission controller ever!

Being aware of January normal UK weather would hardly register with the programme makers and choose a better time of year. And the media is constantly transfixed with the search LIFE however humble featuring Mars tonight !!! Played with laptop and watched prog half-heartedly with one eye :tongue:

I think tonight's episode would be a bit off putting to any newbie , it was more focused on Mars and seemed to me a bit more scientific than previous series, maybe due to the weather. Never mind I did enjoy the program and hope it does inspire people to give the hobby a go

For me I was impressed by the spectroscope showing the signal of water vapour in Orion. It is that viewing that gets people interested. Pointing out a fact that no one knew. That is not only science, but astronomy also.

Archived