Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Classics have arrived !

John

These have just been delivered by Fedex courtesy of First Light Optics :smiley:

Can't wait for a clear night or two to give them a good try out and see how they compare to the Baader Genuine Orthos (also courtesy of FLO) :grin:

First impressions of the Classics are simple, clean finish. Lighter than the GO's. Rubber winged eye cups fold down for those who don't like / need them. Classic coatings look very similar to the GO's, perhaps a shade lighter. Apparent field of view noticeably larger than the GO's - the spec says 50 degrees and that seems correct. The eye lenses of the orthos are larger than the BGO's as the photos show. All are threaded for 1.25" inch filters except the barlow which has a screw out optical element giving 2.25x in the supplied barrel or 1.3x when screwed into the barrel of an eyepiece. 32mm is a plossl also with a 50 degree AFoV. It comes with a plastic (well finished though) extension piece which raises the eye up up about 10mm. Classics supplied in poly bags with 2 end caps rather than the little card boxes of the BGO's. No country of manufacture marked on the Classic.

Thats all I've been able to absorb right now - more later plus performance testing, clouds allowing and some better photos - these were taken in a hurry ! :smiley:

post-118-0-75086000-1357231442_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-49834200-1357231451_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-11198800-1357231488_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-29745300-1357231499_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-26268800-1357231551_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-00726100-1357231559_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-52693600-1357231568_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-31043800-1357231576_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-47758700-1357231619_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-18651900-1357231628_thumb.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good show John! I'm very much looking forward to this. I'm still waiting for my 6mm BGO to come from FLO , they have delivered the 18mm but the 6mm has changed status to awaiting back order. Aesthetically the BGO's look better to my eyes but the real interest is are they as good?.

Ps does anyone know why Baader phased out the BGO range and replaced them? The Classic Ortho's do look cheaper in appearance so I'm guessing it was to reduce manufacturing costs but that is just my speculation

.....Ps does anyone know why Baader phased out the BGO range and replaced them? The Classic Ortho's do look cheaper in appearance so I'm guessing it was to reduce manufacturing costs but that is just my speculation.....

I thought it was due to the earthquake and tsunami in Japan destroying the production plant :huh:

I think the new models are due to necessity rather than choice.

I'm still waiting for my 6mm BGO to come from FLO , they have delivered the 18mm but the 6mm has changed status to awaiting back order. Aesthetically the BGO's look better to my eyes but the real interest is are they as good?.

I think we can see where your 6mm is from the photos above :D

I do agree that the appearance of the BGOs is nicer. I think those winged eyecups are an eyesore. But as you say, it all depends on how well they work.

James

What time's your flight John?

You still stopping off in Jamaica?

Ha, Ha :smiley:

Just for clarity, I've been loaned these by First Light Optics. They will be going back once I've had a chance to try them and write up the results :smiley:

@ Tony (mountainman): Until I've tried them I won't know to be honest. Orthoscopics usually work well with all scope designs provided you can handle their narrow field of view and tighter eye relief in the shorter focal lengths.

One observation I'd make on the Baader Classic's is that they are "no frills" with regard to their finish. Their bodies are made from anodised alloy and are plain black throughout with screen printed details. The field stops and lens retaining rings are neatly machined and have a matt finish. The inside of the barrels though, while having micro-ridges, could be blacker. Not as good as the BGO's in this respect I feel. The Classics and also the BGO's, do not have undercuts in their barrels so that will please those who find undercuts can foul compression rings in drawtubes.

I agree with you re: the comparison with BGO's James. The University Optics HD's (identical to the Baader GO's) did used to come with a winged eye cup rather like the one the Classics use. You can remove the eye cup from the Classics easily enough if it's not for you.

John, if possible could you try the screw in barlow (1.3x) with a 2x barlow to see if the glass doesn't touch each other? I've been curious for a while whether or not I'd be able to get a 2.6x barlow with this combination :).

Looking forward to the first light report.

It's interesting to see John that the eye lens is much bigger than usual on ortho design - i assume it will make them more comfortable to view with. Also for planetary buffs, there is a very large gap between the 6mm and 10mm. Hope you get some good conditions for the test.

andrew

John, if possible could you try the screw in barlow (1.3x) with a 2x barlow to see if the glass doesn't touch each other? I've been curious for a while whether or not I'd be able to get a 2.6x barlow with this combination :).

Looking forward to the first light report.

I don't think this will work I'm afraid. When removed from the barlow body, the Baader Q-Turret barlow optical section needs a barrel with a clearance up inside of at least 13mm to screw into. This, as far as I can see at the moment, means that it cannot be used with other barlows which have their lens sets at the bottom end of the barrel or eyepieces that use a lower lens set low down in the barrel either.

If I can see a way around this in due course I will give it a go of course.

... I'm still waiting for my 6mm BGO to come from FLO...

I think we can see where your 6mm is from the photos above :D

Don't worry Rob, more 6mm's have just arrived and yours will be on it's way tomorrow :)

We too are interested in John's results. As is often the case when a new product comes in we are the last to get a chance to use them :sad::rolleyes:

James

I don't think this will work I'm afraid. When removed from the barlow body, the Baader Q-Turret barlow optical section needs a barrel with a clearance up inside of at least 13mm to screw into. This, as far as I can see at the moment, means that it cannot be used with other barlows which have their lens sets at the bottom end of the barrel or eyepieces that use a lower lens set low down in the barrel either.

If I can see a way around this in due course I will give it a go of course.

Very much appreciated John :). I expect a 2.5x barlow would do just fine for that task, rather than using the 1.3x and another 2x.

Did you not get the turret as well John? :)

No, I've just got the 3 orthos, the plossl and the barlow. I'm not 100% sure that the turret would work with my scopes due to lack of inward focuser travel.

..... 32mm is a plossl also with a 50 degree AFoV......

Having compared the apparent field of view with other eyepieces I'd now say the plossl has more like 45 degrees. Certainly less than the orthos and only a little more than the Baader GO's. I'll measure the field stop diameter and see if this is confirmed.

Clouded out here tonight so no observational testing (the most interesting bit) is possible :sad:

Looking forward to the full review

Apparent field of view noticeably larger than the GO's - the spec says 50 degrees and that seems correct.

Having compared the apparent field of view with other eyepieces I'd now say the plossl has more like 45 degrees. Certainly less than the orthos and only a little more than the Baader GO's.

It's interesting that they've doen this to the AFOV, widened the ortho and constricted plossl from the previous standard. Unless the design of lenses has changed they must have sacrificed some perfomance for the ortho afov. The proof will be in the test though.

Don't worry Rob, more 6mm's have just arrived and yours will be on it's way tomorrow :)

We too are interested in John's results. As is often the case when a new product comes in we are the last to get a chance to use them :sad::rolleyes:

James

Many thanks. Will the 7 and 9mm be available to order any time soon or are they gone for good now?Fingers crossed that we all get some clear sky soon and John can finish his eagerly awaited review

I see one member on Cloudy Nights has had first light with the 10mm and rates it at least as good optically as the BGO.

I read that - it was daytime viewing I think. I'll reserve my judgement until I've had some nighttime sessions. Thats the acid test !

@usename: I'll be looking at that last 10% of the FoV for such compromises.

Archived