Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi and a Very Happy New Year!(Aberdeen)

Dude_with_the_tube

Hello every one,

first of all,i am wishing every one a happy and a prosperous new year.may all the stars shine for you and skies are always clear.

After a long debate,i decided to stick my fingers in astrology pie with a hope I don't burn the nails .

I will be sniping the starts and any other terrestrial object from my back garden located in Aberdeen.Reasonably dark with a clear view to east,south and west.north will be a bit challenging.Also i am a total beginner,but a quick learner so I am looking forward to this.

Just ordered my first scope:Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX with some essential bits to get me started and looking forward to carriers van turning up with the huge box labeled with my name on it.(should be here at the beginning of next week).

Also i wonder if there are any other people in Aberdeenshire are willing to meet up,share they knowledge,scope the stars together? i will be more than happy to meet and soak up anything you have on the offer knowledge and experience vise.Beer is on me of-course.(or any other preferred beverage)

kind regards

Dude with the tube.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Dude-Without-the-tube,

Just joined myself last week as i had some questions with my newly aquired Celestron which has now been returned.. Anyway Greetings - I'm from just down the road near Dundee and i also have just purchased a Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX , mines is due to be shipped tomorrow so may have it by the weekend but as i work away from home it may be a couple of weeks till i get my hands on it... Would be interested to see how you get on with it - drop me a pm if you dont fancy starting a thread.

Cheers Dude - Hope you enjoy your new purchase - I cant wait to get my hands on mine.....

Fingers crossed for some clear skies next week

Laters......

the 250px is a great scope [i should know i have one lol] its just the right size for transporting to dark sites and has a great light grasp for such a portable scope. a telrad is invaluable i found the finder scope a bit annoying tbh .

Hi Dude and welcome to SGL, James is right, we don`t deal in Astrology, Scrooge along with a lot of others might just refer to it as humbug, Astronomy is the namer of the game here. Very nice scope you have on the way, download the free program Stellarium it will help you find your way about the night sky together with a copy of TL@O which is a great introduction to Astronomy and will help you discover some of the many interesting items on view in the Constellations throughout the year :)

John.

my bad,mistyped.meant astronomy.Just over exited to get my hands on the new toy.You know the feeling lol.

I have Stellarium on both my PC and laptop and been playing with it for a couple of days all ready and I agree it is an awesome program.

Rasbury,sure mate, we can keep in touch .Once i get my scope and had a play with it,i will most certainly drop you a PM.

and cheers every one for a warm welcome :)

Hey Dude, welcome from the other end of the country. Only just joined myself and have found loads of help and info on here.

They're even pretty tollerant of typos compared to most forums :wink:

Lee

Hi Dude and welcome to the forum. One suggestion for you to help you get started and that would be for you to download some free planetarium software called Stellarium which you can read about here. Lots of great features which will help you identify what you're looking at along with helping you to find some new objects. Can be configured from your precise viewing location thereby providing you with the exact same simulated night sky to one you are observing. In addition, you might want to take a look at a book called Turn Left At Orion as it designed for those starting out and provides a great list of objects to find along with maps and written instructions on how to find them. Hope the above helps you further.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Archived