Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Huby (near York)

waltatyork

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Walt and welcome to the forum. For anyone interested in getting into astrophotography, I would strongly suggest getting hold of Steve Richards' book "Making Every Photon Count"(FLO £19.95) which a comprehensive guide to all that you need to know on how to produce good consistent images. It is important to get a complete overview of the subject at the start in order to decide how deep you want to go and what kit you will need to take you there. Modestly priced, it is likely to save you money by helping you to avoid buying the wrong kit or at least helping you formulate a realistic budget. Collecting the necessary data to help construct an image is of course only half the battle, the other being the processing of that data and although there is a lot of free software out there that is great to use, inevitably there will be one or two other processing packages that will need to be paid for if you want to get the most out your imaging. Hope that helps. :smiley:

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Good advice James , I think we have all gone out a bought something only to find a better suited product a week later at 1/2 the price ...

So yes Welcome Walt and do your home work to save waisting money as AP (astro photograghy ) can get very expensive , very fast .

Most of all take your time and enjoy .

Brian.

Thanks everyone, I feel very welcome already! Great advice and will get off to Amazon and get that book. I've done quite a bit of homework and for now have bought a scope I think will keep me happy for a while. Its a Skywatcher Synscan AZ GoTo 130P and I've invested in a couple of Baader eyepieces. Glad to be amongst everyone here as I'm going to need all the advice I can get!

Hi Walt and welcome to SGL, I see by accident you double posted your last thread, so I have taken the liberty of deleting one, as it happens I am only just down the road from you, so if you want to exchange details give me a PM. The book James referred to is I believe only available through FLO, see top of page or direct from forum member Steve Richards himself ( Steppenwolf ) You have chosen a very nice scope and with Baader eye pieces should give you some rewarding views, a dark site around the Huby area should not be to difficult to find to commence your AP, although this will be limited to some extent by your AZ mount. If you havn`t already done so download the free program Stellarium and if your book budget will stretch to it, a copy of TL@O both will help you find your way about the night sky, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Hi and welcome Walt!

John (Glowjet) was linking you to a book called Turn Left At Orion - easy to find on amazon, and a great beginners book - I still refer to it regularly (still a newbie myself :grin:).

The issue with alt-az mounts for astrophotography is that the field rotates as you track, so that they aren't suitable for long exposures which are needed for the feinter deepsky objects. I think you could maybe manage short exposures, or single shots on targets like planets/moon though (not an imager or photographer I'm afraid). They are also I think less accurate and prone to small incremental errors that affect the tracking as well. The imagers here can explain it better, and they all recommend a good equatorial mount for deepsky photography - something like an HEQ5 or EQ6 and upwards. As previous posters have said, the whole AP business can get pretty expensive! Anyway, you'll be sure to get more good advice on this forum :).

Clear skies!

Thanks Mark, I think we get carried away with abbreviations at times and some of our newer members will be lost as to what they mean, anyay the book, Turn Left at Orion is available through the famous online seller, however, although it gets mentioned occasionally, The Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders is cheaper and by far more extensive, following along the same lines, it will provide the budding and experienced Astronomer alike, with enough material to look at and seek out in each Constellation for a few years to come :)

John.

Archived